Skip to main content

Classic Japanese.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #157620 by asw120
Classic Japanese. was created by asw120
Yes, you read right. This would be over 40 years old now. The young bloke said his grandfather bought it new, they restored it recently.
How long since you've seen one of these? (look closely now).

Jarrod.

Note the heavy wheels.
Remember the plastic hubcaps they used to have?
Not seen in the photo is the front leaf springs.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #157621 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Classic Japanese.
I had one of those as a young fella- four on the floor, 80k's flat out and a trail of black smoke as far as the eye could see. The best ute I have owned...

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #157622 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Classic Japanese.
Jarrod, that would be one of (if not the) last model of those. A hilux cab Plonked on the Stout chassis..

This is the Stout I remember... the ride was very stout to say the least,
But there were quite a few around here when I was young kid..
To my mind was the beginning of the "unbreakable" reputation that Toyota now enjoys..

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgsyB4psiJzCmaiDY049wjYgPeV1Be9Y871X5YmRIIhkTm3VCZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #157623 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Classic Japanese.
A Stout have never seen one that I have noticed always would have thought a Hilux 40 years my time has flown it cant be forty years or can it ?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #157624 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Classic Japanese.
Hayseed, when I was in highschool, a friend's parents had one of those for parts and two of the earlier ones to service their caravan park at Deception Bay. One had a body with hatches down each side - it was the park rubbish truck. If I was staying at Rick's place over the holidays, we would walk down each side of the ring road and empty all the bins into it while his dad, or older brother drove. It had the noisiest gearbox in the whole world LOL! (we thought). They bought a shovel-nose Corona and put the motor in it at one stage. This would be mid 80's. That Corona was in good nick and would be highly collectible now...

edit: they were Lite Stouts he had.

Now that orange one, last one I saw like that (until the other day) was near Gatton about 20 years ago.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by asw120.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #157625 by asw120
After a bit of research, I may have to revise that to 35 years. I could have sworn the rego sticker said it was older, but there you go.

No less interesting for that.

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

9 years 3 weeks ago #157626 by
Replied by on topic Re: Classic Japanese.
Geez Hayseed that is almost identical to one I had 25 years ago..
Not sure they made them any other colour than green until the Hilux shaped Stouts?? :o

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #157627 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Classic Japanese.
903,The vast Majority of the ones around here were green, with the (very) odd one being Landcruiser grey..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #157628 by kenny-mopar
Replied by kenny-mopar on topic Re: Classic Japanese.
I remember the Toyota stouts well ... Also that Toyota truck thingy that looks similar to a dodge-international .. I think there was a Toyota crown ute as well ?or was it a corona ute
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by kenny-mopar.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #157629 by asw120
Yep, definately were Crown utes. They were commonish when I was a kid. Never saw many of the Toyota trucks, but they were around.

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.480 seconds