Skip to main content

Albion Clydesdale LAD help needed

More
8 years 11 months ago #159392 by jeffo
Too right Mammoth.
Simple job to remove them and so much easier to clean up under the cab.
Then a new rubber strip for the join and they'll look mint.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159393 by ianlind
What's holding up the bullbar are 5 x 3/4 bolts, but not for long, as it will be coming off today.
Finally tracked down a bloke who had it in the 80's, and he was using it as a Stud Stock transporter with a custom built body on it. He said it had done a lot of miles, as it had been worked hard before he got it, and he ran it on the Hume running stock between Albury/Sydney/Melbourne and other destinations. It runs a Leyland 375 with an 80Kph diff which he fitted after he bought it to replace the original slow diff.
He bought the truck off a bloke called Bob Hazelwood, now deceased, but I know his son, so maybe more info can be found when I manage to contact him.
Cab was rotten, so he did a transplant with a cab off a short wheelbase Leyland tow truck, and he says the cab was the purple that shows. The name on the Towy was "Wagga Road Smash Repairs" and that was owned by Toole's Motors in Wagga Rd Albury. This now makes sense, as I can make out some of the letters on the passenger side door, and I can now see where the words are going.
There is still a bit of confusion about the red, because the red is between the purple and white, as he said they painted the cab white with green guards ( over purple ), the same as the BP trucks that were painted by the same bloke who painted this cab. Probably had some paint left over!
More as it comes to hand.
Ian

8 years 11 months ago #159394 by
great stuff Ian .. the history side of things is a lot of fun :)

More
8 years 11 months ago #159395 by ianlind
G'day Detective,
The chase for history has been satisfying, but it has stalled a little since I went back to the previous owner ( early 80's ) about the colour issue. I'm thinking he's a bit confused about the colours, as he is 81 yrs old and the cab and bullbar graft was done around 1980ish.
A clarification of some of the previous information has come to hand.
I tracked down one of the partners of Wagga Road Smash Repairs, one Bob French, and he said that up until his departure from the Partnership in 1969 they were running a Ford towy, and he said that the LeyLand would have been purchased some time after that.
Unfortunately the other partner Bob McLoughlin ( ? ) has since passed away, so no information there.
Apparently the truck was purchased from the Smash Repairers around 1980 by Toole's Motors who parted it out and sold the Cab and Bar to Bill Dunn who has been able to fill in a few of the gaps, and will hopefully be able to work out the colour history before it's too late
Toole's Motors were Holden dealers and also sold things like Fridges and Washing Machines and other appliances.
So, to current events!
Last week I had a new rear cross member folded at the local engineering works to replace the shredded one that had been pulled out by overzealous tugging!
Come to bolt it in after fabricating the end plates, and on one side of the chassis there are three x 3/8 bolt holes, the other side has two x 3/8 and one x 5/16! Wierd or what! These appear to be factory holes, and the chassis steel is rather hard, as I tried to drill it out, then decided a 5/16 bolt was easier!
Exhaust manifold has to come off as it barks out of No4, and it appears that there are two studs and nuts not where they should be! At least it's pretty easy to get at. I hope!

Time to create page: 0.391 seconds