Skip to main content

Inter/Dodge 5 speed boxes

More
8 years 3 months ago #167503 by Dave_64
Hi All,
Bloke down the road from me was asking about the 5 speed boxes as fitted to larger AT/D5 Dodge and equivalent size Inters fitted with this box. I had heard of the NP541 boxes, but they were a 5 speed DIRECT box, about 7:1 first gear and the gap between 3-4th and 4-5th not as wide. He recalled a 5 speed OVERDRIVE box, but I think I remember reading somewhere on this forum that particular box was a CLARK??

He also reckons there was a variation of the 5 X 3 combination bought out in Acco 6 and 8 wheelers where they ran the 5 speed OVERDRIVE box with a 3 speed DIRECT joey. I don't know enough about them to argue a case, but I was thinking more along the lines that most of those combinations were a 5 speed DIRECT and a 3 speed OVERDRIVE joey ( most times the Spicer 7041) ??? Also available in larger Dodge AT/D5's with diesel (Perkins)??
Also, of the larger Dodge bogie drives with factory V653's, would I be correct in saying most came out with the 610 Bushranger, single drives with the 5 speed and two speed axle (but optional R/R 610??)
No doubt someone will know.
Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #167516 by wedgetail84
not much up on the dodges, although what you've put about the bigger (6v53) ones sounds right. Also don't know much about the 5x3 accos, but I do know the bigger inter 5 speeds (non synchro) used in the 5x3s amongst others were the T5* series - the T53 and T52 were overdrive, the T54 direct. So a 5x3 could well have been an over main and direct joey. I think the T5* boxes were an eaton design but inter made? This info always seems hazy though
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
8 years 3 months ago #167518 by Blackduck59
The Joey I have from an AT Dodge is a Spicer 7231-C. (.86 overdrive) I know it had a 5 speed in front of it but don't have any details. Think it was around a 1977 unit.
The smaller Inters used T34/35 and 1 other (T32?). Direct and overdrive depending on models. Think there may have been a T253 as well. Been a long time since I worked on Inters

More
8 years 3 months ago #167534 by wedgetail84

Blackduck59 wrote: The smaller Inters used T34/35 and 1 other (T32?). Direct and overdrive depending on models. Think there may have been a T253 as well. Been a long time since I worked on Inters

T36 was the other model, I think they varied the 1st ratio. There was then a later series of boxes with numbers like T253, T401 etc. which I know nothing of.

Time to create page: 0.424 seconds