Skip to main content

Knocker 6V53

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #169304 by overnite
Knocker 6V53 was created by overnite
Friday night at West Hoxton NSW, I spotted a truck that I haven't seen for years, but still obviously earning its keep,loaded with empty pallets. Blue Commer Knocker ( last series) fitted with ( from memory ) 6V53, with lazy rearend, which I think was V belt drive. It had the big air cleaner mounted above the cab on the loading board, looking similar to the ghosts. Anyone else seen this lately?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #169313 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Knocker 6V53
Overnite, would this be the one?

try this way up lil bro...

I believe it has a Cat in it. I see it around Sydney quite often.

Dennis
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Sarge.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #169314 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Knocker 6V53
There was a Photo (or2) of That floating around facebook a few Weeks ago.
But I can't remember where..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #169320 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Knocker 6V53
Amazing to see this gear still earning a bob. If it had a GM 2 stroke in it it wouldn't be a 'knocker' as that is the moniker for Commer's 3 cylinder/ 6 piston two stroke motor. So it is Commer screamer then?

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #169328 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Knocker 6V53
Mammoth, It would have originally been a Knocker, before being repowered, as it has four headlights. Perkins only had two.
IHScout, yes that's the one. I didn't hear it, but just assumed it was GM powered as I knew a guy who had one very similar, in the late 60s, and it's air cleaner arrangement was the same
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by overnite.

More
7 years 11 months ago #170385 by Cunning Stunt
Replied by Cunning Stunt on topic Knocker 6V53
Hi Wayne, I know the owner well and traded a lot of parts with him. Originally Knocker powered and pulled a dog as far as South Australia. It now has a small V8 Cat engine in it, not a 3208, it's smaller than that but I can't remember the numbers. They have a single drive prime mover same colour and engine too. The one you saw has a 10 speed RR and a Permatrak rear end in it and the owner Joe grew up with it as his father bought it new

Some play hard to get

More
7 years 11 months ago #170389 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Knocker 6V53
Cunning, Long time no hear. Thanks for the info. Do you know if that one has a belt drive Permatrak? Many years ago, (45maybe?) I looked at one with the intention of purchasing with a Besser block contract, and it had a belt drive to the lazy, but not sure if was a Permatrak or not. I thought that hand unloading concrete blocks didn't have my name attached, so I declined.

More
7 years 11 months ago #170410 by Cunning Stunt
Replied by Cunning Stunt on topic Knocker 6V53
Hahaha, yes I think i'd pass too. There was no belt drive on it but I have seen photos of them in the past.

It's good to be back mate ;)

Some play hard to get

More
7 years 11 months ago #170413 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Knocker 6V53
V8 CAT that is small and not a 3208 is more than likely an 1160, the predecessor to the 3208. Same cubic capacity, 636 cu/in but has an inline fuel pump instead of a v and a few other changes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cunning Stunt

More
7 years 11 months ago #170435 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Knocker 6V53
Was it vthe 1160 or 1145 something like that lol ... also known as the V636 in early Louies

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

Time to create page: 0.559 seconds