Skip to main content

LeTourneau Road Truck

More
7 years 8 months ago #173511 by bruehawk
This Letourneau-Westinghouse truck was built in 1958 with a 6-71 GM. It was Aust. designed and built at Rydalmere NSW

Photo and info from the book Wabco Aust. by Philip G. Gowenlock This book is a great read.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #173512 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic LeTourneau Road Truck
COOL! Was it conventionally driven (transmission/diff set up?) or one of the electric drive jiggers??

Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago #173514 by bruehawk
Replied by bruehawk on topic LeTourneau Road Truck
Just a conventional driveline Dave, was going to have top speed of 55 mph, I think had a Fuller transmission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago #173520 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic LeTourneau Road Truck
How good is that I love it
has Blitz or Oshkosh thing going on with the wind screen leaning forward
Thanks for sharing

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 8 months ago #173523 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic LeTourneau Road Truck
With the electric side of things, the Westinghouse bit has only just hit me...........and I've been working on big Westinghouse DC electric motors and generators for nearly 30 years....duh.......:)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 8 months ago #173529 by Mrsmackpaul
Yep you would have Jarrod its always amazing when we cant see the forest for the trees LOL

Paul

More
7 years 8 months ago #173550 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic LeTourneau Road Truck
In your case Paul, 160 Ann st Comes to mind. Up for modernisation again, I think. Big Standard - Waygood built Westinghouse machines there. Early EPL Thyroglides with Daleks. I remember the commutators getting done when we modernised them around 1991? Two of the controller cabinets are in my sheds. Wish I had taken photos so everyone else knew what I was talking about. Commutators would be nearly 2 feet in diameter.
These big, old DC machines are being replaced by (comparatively) puny AC machines everywhere.

I would love to know the control system of the LeTourneau - Westinghouse gear, whether it was Ward - Leonard, like the lifts.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 8 months ago #173553 by Mrsmackpaul
Yes Jarrod its one of them things its bit hard for people that have never been involved in the lift industry to visualize what it is and just how big those old gearless hoist motors were
I recommend it to young person starting out in life as a good trade and the skills you learn can set you up in good position for the rest of your life or it has done that for me anyway
I often think about about returning to lifts Im fairly over the whole farming show these days and it wouldnt worry me if I never turned soil for a living again but thats a whole different story and not one for a truck forum

Paul

More
7 years 8 months ago #173561 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic LeTourneau Road Truck
Like to know a bit more about that L/T 'road' truck, see its got a 6/71 and a Fuller box, any idea what sort of diffs etc? Who and why was it built?
Bloke I was telling about it wondered if it was the one that he thought was being used up at the Berowra to Peats Ridge Freeway, which was I think built by the DMR as supervisors. Someone may be able to confirm that, they hired outside plant in, recall Christies having a few D9G's up there. Exactly what they would use it up there for, I'm not sure.
Seems that there was a bit of a boneyard just off the old Pacific Highway down Moonee Moonee way and this bloke reckons a few bits and pieces ended up there. a couple of S24 Euclids and he said maybe that's where he saw it. Who knows?
I was thinking more along the lines as a platform for a drilling rig or something similar.
Dave_64

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 8 months ago #173563 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic LeTourneau Road Truck
LeTournea was one smart cookie
way ahead of his time
he made stuff to do a specific job

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2411&d=1163390061

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2390&d=1163286907

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds