Skip to main content

52 Bedford welsh plugs

More
6 years 7 months ago #187685 by Barossa
Hi fellow enthusiasts. This my first entry so I hope it reads ok. I have recently woken a ML bedford 214 from a long sleep only to find welsh plugs in need of replacement. The hard one looks to be the rear one located under the bell housing. From what I can see this means floor out ,gearbox out,engine out with housing and then split for replacement. Please can anyone tell me I am wrong and there is a simpler way. Open to helpful advice .Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187700 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 52 Bedford welsh plugs
Welcome to the forum
I cant tell you if your right or wrong but at guess I would be thinking your right
Maybe pull the radiator and slide the motor forward, maybe a lot easier and give you good chance to flush the motor and radiator out
Or if it was mine I would the motor and box and change a few seals while its on the floor, also a good time to grease the spigot and throw out bearing and check the clutch

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 7 months ago #187705 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic 52 Bedford welsh plugs
Barossa welcome aboard, Beddie owners always welcome.
I had a O series same vintage and probably same motor, same welsh plug issue. My rear plug was above the bell housing, but inaccessible, I refused to cut the firewall and was contemplating an engine removal when someone on here suggested punching the plug in and then push the new plug in where it goes. The old plug would not be an issue inside the gallery. May not suit your needs but that approach may save a lot of other spanner work.

Now did I hear you mention Pickchas.... we love a happy snap of projects and their progress,

good luck

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187708 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic 52 Bedford welsh plugs
Had an incident last weekend with a mate's Sunbeam Talbot; welsh plug dropped out :ohmy: :S and lodged between the block and generator. It was the curved dish type that sits up against a ridge (as against the cup type with plenty of wall surface area).

Fortunately it was the front rhs welsh plug and relatively (?) easy to access - and was replaced with a cup type, courtesy of a couple of Jamestown locals who were happy to assist. No problem after that and Sunbeam cruised happily back to Adelaide the following day.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187726 by tim
Replied by tim on topic 52 Bedford welsh plugs
G'day Barossa, like MrsMcPaul, I'd pull the motor & box out complete, remove all the welch plugs, get the garden hose in there & clean all the crud out, saves the stuff flaking off later when the engine is warm/hot & filling the radiator tubes up. That way you can SEE what you're doing & know that it's all good to go.
Makes it easier to clean everything if you're going to get the paint in there also. Have fun mate & last but not least Enjoy.
Cheers Tim :) :woohoo:

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

Time to create page: 0.387 seconds