Skip to main content

Looking for info on an old "Canadian Ford"

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #208090 by squawkingalah
Hello everyone,
I'm doing a home movie focusing on my father's truck driving days in the mid 1970s in northern Western Australia. There are lots of family stories about his adventures in the truck, but not much about the truck itself! Sadly he passed away in 2013 so I can't ask him for specific details about the truck. My parents always called it a "Canadian Ford". It started out as a prime mover, and Dad converted it to a rigid truck. Any info about make, model or year would be highly appreciated. The two pics (the only ones we have of the truck) are of the truck in our driveway and an earlier very bad pic of the process of converting it.
Thanks in advance!
Tracy Sorensen
Bathurst, NSW

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Gryphon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #208093 by hayseed
Hi Tracy, Looks like either a F8000 or possibly an F800 to Me.

If You're on facebook? Here's a link to a Page dedicated to them..
www.facebook.com/groups/199656908128082/

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #208094 by Blackduck59
Tracey,
You could try contacting the Carnarvon Shire with that plate number, they may still have records on vehicles.
By the grill maybe mid 60's
Cheers Steve
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Blackduck59.

More
4 years 1 month ago #208103 by Oilman
I think it is a FORD F800 (4th series built from 1961-66).

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

More
4 years 1 month ago #208157 by Morris
Tracy,
The term "Canadian Ford" may relate to the Six cylinder, 240 or 300 cubic inch petrol motors made in Canada and fitted to many Ford trucks and buses. Otherwise and I don't know if it still applied in the 1960's but earlier, there were heavy import tariffs on importation of vehicles from outside the British Empire, so several American manufacturers set up factories in Canada so that the vehicle could be imported from Canada which was a member of the British Commonwealth.

Was it you and Doug looking at International trucks at a clearing sale near Wagga Wagga last last year?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 1 month ago #208165 by werkhorse
Canadian Fords were usually badged as Mercury...

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
4 years 1 month ago #208166 by Lang
Ford set up their first Canadian factory in 1904 - years before the Model T. Initially it was just a normal commercial decision to do with local markets, cheaper labour etc but when the British Commonwealth became exceedingly protectionist most large manufacturers did likewise to get around the tariffs.

The USA and Canadian factories were within shouting distance of each other and the "Made in Canada" badges were often quite farcical with parts, complete vehicles and even workers traveling back and forth across the border. These days with consumer laws you would see what we do with many products on the supermarket shelf - "Made (or Assembled) in Canada" in large print and underneath in small print "From Local and Imported Parts".

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: squawkingalah

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #208370 by 14B-Beaver
[Petrol Engine was an F800. Diesel Engine was an F8000.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by IHScout.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #208405 by JOHN.K.
Interesting the diesel was a 160 Cummins...never knew that......Ive got the remains of one of these Fords in the yard,its a magnet for thieves .....some tealeaf has even started cutting the roof off with a hacksaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: squawkingalah

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #208451 by asw120
I have seen this truck - you would swear there is nothing left to steal, and yet.....

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds