Skip to main content

My old original bucket of bolts - Federal 604

More
1 year 8 months ago #238610 by Mrsmackpaul
I never rarely talk much about me and my crap, well because it's really just crap

So way way way back when Dino-doors roamed the earth I bought my first big truck

Didn't know it's history then but bought it site unseen and got it delivered by Bulls to my joint for a quick rebuild and then off to work

Dont have many pre delivery photos

This was snapped today apparently

My old Delores the trucker-sorius

It is a Federal 604 and was Baldocks from the NT fame, this truck was named Dynah Mite and the other twin of it (written off I believe) Dynah will, might get over the hill an will get over the hill

So a real bit of Australian history, anyway I pulled the HB 600 Cummins out and put a 671 screamer in and joey box

Anyway a little bit of history I'll get to one day, and yes it is still a runner

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, wouldyou, ianoz, Lang, PaulFH, asw120, xspanrman, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
1 year 8 months ago #238611 by BillyP
............I bet you were a real proud trucker in that one Mrs..............

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 8 months ago #238613 by cobbadog
Saw a Mack truck running around the Maning Valley earlier this week name, Dyno-Mite

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 8 months ago #238614 by Dave_64
Hey Mrs.
Maybe afew on here dont know much about the old girl, how about a bit on what other mods, be a bit specific, what you used her for, what she may have carted etc, pics are always welcome.
We know she still holds pride of place otherwise the avatar would have been superceded by the R model.
Still a lot of us like to hear and see something other than imported or overblown crap, so, c'mon, humour a frw of us.
Give till it hurts!
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Brocky45

More
1 year 8 months ago #238617 by Mrsmackpaul
There's not really much to add

I dont have many photos at all, the avatar photo isnt this truck, that was mob in NSW

I made it into RHD drive using the steering box and wheel etc from a 1418 benz, the fuel tanks also came off a benz
I have high speed diffs for it, collected them when I bought Fruehauf cattle trailer

Has Timken front axle and still has Timken ass end 55,000 pound
Spicer joey box, 4 speed direct in top and then steps down from there

I put the joey box in backwards to gear it up

Main box is clark 4 speed with a high and low split on the second stick

Not a lot more to add, Baldocks or someone else has stretched it out take a 24 foot tray, after a while I shortenend it back up a bit, I think about 4 feet shortened wheel base

Has a 15 inch single plate clutch that was all mechanical, I used a Dodge master cylinder and slave cylinder to operate the clutch when I made it RHD
The clutch was very heavy so I got a single circuit power booster off I cant remember what and used that
I needed a vacuum sorce so used a alternator off a small Jap truck or 4x4 and a small vacuum tank

The planned use of the truck was for minning, I had taken up leases and a exploration license in the territory on the Jervois range

One thing I did not count on was meeting the Princess and her total dislike for my plan

The long and short of it is I never made it out to go minning as I got married instead and went farming as that was so much smarter lol

So the truck just poked about as a farm truck and I never sold it as it reminds of what could of been

I have some other photos put away somewhere and video of me zooming about in it down in Gippsland also put away somewhere, VHS type of thing

Must hunt these down and if the tape is any good convert it to digital some how before that history is gone

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Dave_64, Lang, PaulFH, asw120, V8Ian, oliver1950

More
1 year 8 months ago #238619 by Mrsmackpaul
Many moons ago when I first joined the forum, members Ron Horse and Salor V , pretty sure that was there names new about my old Federal and both drove it for Baldocks, Ron has definitely passed away, dunno about Sailor V

Anyway they told me some history and from there I joined the dots and learnt more and more

No internet when I bought this truck, or if there was any internet I was unaware of it

Anyway some photos of said bucket of bolts from Baldocks day

Here is picture most of you would of seen of thhe two Federals Baldocks had

The one on the left is mine "Dynah Mite"

Here is a trailer made out of a Federal chassis, the trailer on top, I can clearly see the Timken diffs and suspension and the Federal bracing in the chassis

Not a lot more to add

I have shared other photos on here over the years

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Dave_64, Lang, PaulFH, V8Ian, oliver1950

More
1 year 8 months ago #238620 by Mrsmackpaul
Some photos of the truck in Alice Springs that were sent to me, old school in a envelope :silly: :silly: :silly: :lol: :huh:

More to follow

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Dave_64, ianoz, Lang, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
1 year 8 months ago #238621 by Mrsmackpaul

This was when I did all the work to it, making RHD and bunging the 671 etc

Spent a power of money, it got to the stage I had spent so much why would I stop and start going back wards

Gotta also remember no one collected trucks then or if they did I new nothing about it

Not much more to add

I cant remember the blokes name of who I bought it from but I do recall he got as a part of a unpaid dept and it came from Katherine

As to how long he had it in his yard I have no idea

I did start to tell a more detailed story about it many years ago on here but some members questioned my honesty so I decided not to go any further with information

As I have mentioned in recent times the forum has changed a lot over the years and mainly for the better, it was a place with robust discussion back at the start, and thats putting it politely

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Dave_64, eerfree, PaulFH, asw120, oliver1950

More
1 year 8 months ago #238623 by PaulFH
Most interesting Paul.
Some mention of these Federals and HB 600 Cummins on ‘Stories from the Road Museum’ on FB recently.
Used on road train work after WW2.
A member might have a link. Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang

More
1 year 8 months ago #238624 by Dave_64
Thanks for the ( update) info, Mrs.!
This is the sort of stuff that should be collated, dug out but above all, filed away safely for future generations!
And as for the naysayers or doubters who may have questioned the veracity of some of the comments, well ..... screw em' I say.
Said it before, this forum caters for a wide range of areas and topics.
We all have our special interests, I personaly can enjoy a well restored truck as well as the next bloke, but some "old banger" dragged out of a cockies paddock or shed, given a new set of heart and lungs to breathe fire again will get my attention more than any of these things that sometimes turn up under the guise of Yankee Iron!
But, to each his own!
Cheers, Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Morris, V8Ian

Time to create page: 0.456 seconds