Skip to main content

The Demise of the Pommy Trucks

More
1 year 7 months ago #239618 by mammoth
That Marathon promo film is a bit embarrassing. The film I was thinking of was produced by the BBC World About Us team and I seem to recall the trucks were running in convoy, at least at the outset.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #239620 by Mrsmackpaul

I think Andersons were agents for Dennis who did well to sell as many big Dennis as they did as the bigger Dennis never sold well UK.

I think you may be right, I feel there was a connection there as well but I cant remember if I am right or not

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
1 year 7 months ago #239703 by mammoth
Ah this is the film i was talking about, two disc set "destination Doha" excellent production but can't find it on utube,
truck-stuff-2.myshopify.com/products/des...oha-dvd-two-disc-set

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #239704 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic The Demise of the Pommy Trucks
Here is a teaser

This is a similar thing.

Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 7 months ago #239708 by mammoth
Rotta Karachi is Fiat's effort from 1975 with a trio of tail-gating 696/619's doing the trip from Holland to Pakistan. Pretty slow so go to abt 20 mins in for some real dramatic road scenes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 7 months ago #239766 by bparo
I suspect the Poms suffered from a "Not invented here" syndrome. They seemed to ignore innovations made in other countries or to make vehicles to suit other countries needs until it was too late. They, and their vehicle industry, were not alone I have seen it in the IT industry in Australia and elsewhere too.
I remember talking to a person at a car show who had a Rolls Royce. He had sold a Jag and said "The parts were the same price but the Rolls was easier to work on" I remember my brother dropping the front subframe of his many minis with the motor and gearbox attached as it was easier to work on that way. Unfortunately a lot of manufacturers followed the English lead on that. (2 hours of disassembly to get to a bottom radiator hose and a similar time to reassemble is just ridiculous but I guess the design worked well in the assembly plant!)

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds