Skip to main content

The First Utility

More
1 year 3 months ago #242955 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic The First Utility
Mine has a truck-style cab but "styleside" sheet metal from the doors along the sides to the rear. Styling of most vehicles of the 1920's and earlier did not lend itself to the coupe type cab as most had wood framed cabs. Several American built Utes had either a lengthways board on about a 45 degree angle above the sheet-metal side or a steel rod above the sheet-metal side as a tying rail.

Most Utes or pickups still existing from that era are cut down from tourers often with the rear seat moved forward to become the only seat and the rear of the passenger compartment.

In South Australia, as far as I know, tray-type utes/pickups are called Buckboards (from horse-drawn vehicle terminology) and in South Africa, all types are known as Bakkies.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #242956 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic The First Utility
Morris

I think there is no doubt that every load carrying light vehicle of whatever design is universally known as a "ute" in Australia. Never heard the term buckboard from a South Australian unless referring to vintage and veteran cars. American pick-ups - they are nearly all just called trucks in USA now - often currently have Australian ute styling (Hard cab and flowing bodywork) but they are based on heavy vehicles not cars. The Yanks have had GM, Chrysler and Ford producing proper Aussie utes on their car base 50-80's.

The discussion is about the "Australian Utility - ute" being front half hard-top car of the day with a styleside rear box flowing into the bodywork. The Ford model A's above are this classic style. As I mentioned anything with a soft top or square truck cab, styleside or whatever tray shape, have been around since the 1890's and don't qualify for a vote.

Ford, Chrysler and Chevrolet produced "Aussie utes" in USA from the mid-50's to the 80's. Here is a 50's Ford Ranchero.

Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis, Brocky45

More
1 year 3 months ago #242957 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic The First Utility
I agree Lang. that the term "buckboard" was and is a term used to describe an early tray top or tub utility vehicle, and only used for historic vehicles. Further to that, "buckboard" was coined for tourers that had been converted to utes by removing the front seat/body work and moving the rear panel forward to make a single seat cabin and then building a goods carrying rear tray or tub.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #242958 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic The First Utility
Here is something for dispute.

Firstly we have a 1940 Chevrolet ute like the one I am working on at the moment, undoubtedly qualifying for the "Aussie Ute" title.

But we also have a 1942 Chevrolet ute meeting the basic criteria of hard top and flowing body but based on the light truck platform (like modern "F" trucks for example). Is this an Aussie ute or not?
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
1 year 3 months ago #242966 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic The First Utility
But I look at those two Lang and would describe the sedan based unit as a ute, while the second truck based unit is quite plainly, as the Americans would say, a pick-up truck. :huh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 3 months ago #242971 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic The First Utility
I'll go along with you PDU, but hell, you can park either of them in my shed and I'll give you a big hug!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

More
1 year 3 months ago #242974 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic The First Utility
My 2 cents worth , is.

anything with a removable Tray/Tub is a Truck .& any Unibody or One piece vehicle is a Ute..

BISTBC

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Inter-Action

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #242984 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic The First Utility
I thought that the description of a "ute" was a uni body constructed vehicle and not a separate cab and tray. Plus had continuous sill and the ute section was a part of the main body of the vehicle so to me they are both utes. Being built on different chassis is irrelevant only one would have a higher carrying capacity than the other.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 3 months ago #242993 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic The First Utility
On the basis the cab and tray/tub/rear has to be homogeneous that would mean the last of the Falcon Utes doesn't qualify as a Ute?

I'm looking forward to the result of this discussion.

More
1 year 3 months ago #242994 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic The First Utility
And on Caravaners Forum they become tugs or trucks!
David.

Time to create page: 0.627 seconds