Skip to main content

German Tank Transporters WW2

More
1 year 2 months ago #243343 by Lang
The Germans had an interesting take on their tank transporters in WW2

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Inter-Action, PaulFH, wee-allis, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #243344 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic German Tank Transporters WW2
From what I can work out the rear unit not only assisted with propulsion and steering but it drove off to allow the tank to drive onto the trailer. The bottom one here has about 50 tons to drag, not bad for 1942.

Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Inter-Action, Mairjimmy, PaulFH, wee-allis, xspanrman, oliver1950

More
1 year 2 months ago #243345 by Mrsmackpaul
I surprised to learn in recent times just how un mechanized the German Army was in WW2

Oil or lack of it was the main reason apparently

Very interesting transporters

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 2 months ago #243346 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic German Tank Transporters WW2
Not many people know that the greatest use of horses in any military conflict in history was by the Germans in WWII: 80% of their entire transport was equestrian. Despite all the propaganda about Blitzkreig, formidable German R&D, industrial design and production, the day to day mechanics of that fighting force involved an average of 1.1 million horses throughout the war. Of the 322 German divisions in the middle of the war - 1943 - only 52 were armored or motorized.

The great bulk of the German combat strength—the old-type infantry divisions—marched into battle on foot, with their weapons and supply trains propelled almost entirely by four-legged horsepower. The light and mountain divisions had an even greater proportion of animals, and the cavalry divisions were naturally mainly dependent on the horse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Tacho, wee-allis, Zuffen, Brocky45

More
1 year 2 months ago #243348 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic German Tank Transporters WW2
I've always been interested in the German side of vehicles and planes, just because they were so complex and difficult to manufacture.

Your comments really opened my eyes to how primitive the Wehrmacht were.

A good topic to Google and read up on rather than watch TV.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds