Skip to main content

Identification please - Arrol-Johnston

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #243585 by Normanby
I came across these photos while scanning prints I had taken during the 1960s. It was a time when I was looking for a vintage vehicle to restore and was in the Beaudesert, Q area where I grew up. Unfortunately I did not note any information about this vehicle with the photos. Some time later I purchased another vintage vehicle so I didn't get this one. Can't seem to recall anything about this but I have asked my younger brother who is in one photo with our father.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Normanby. Reason: remove duplicate photos
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Inter-Action, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #243586 by Lang
Looks small and English. Morris? But oiverhead valve does not seem to match?

Morris exhaust wrong side.

Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 2 months ago #243588 by Lang
This Humber looks even closer but once again exhaust is on the wrong side.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #243593 by 180wannabe
I think it's about a 1927 Arrol-Johnston.

The side of the rocker cover says -

Arrol-Johnston
Limited
Dumfries

Brett.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by 180wannabe. Reason: add detail
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Inter-Action, Normanby, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
1 year 2 months ago #243595 by Lang
I should have known that. This is the Queensland Ambulance I owned back in the mid-80's for a year or so before selling it to QA for their museum. It drove easily as good as the Chevs etc of the era.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #243597 by Lang
While we are on Arrol-Johnston this is a mystery.

1905. Looks like four wheel drive but a searchlight when there were only 5 aeroplanes in the entire world? I doubt the canvas blanket over the driver's legs was necessary. Firstly it was going to Sudan which gets 2 inches of rain a year and averages 35 degrees temperature. Secondly with only 16hp the same as a smallish ride-on lawnmower, it would not go fast enough for the rain to come back at an angle under the roof.

Being in the Sudan I suspect it was ordered by Kitchener to protect the Khartoum walls from night attack by disgruntled locals after he was too late to save Charlton Heston aka General Gordon being skewered on the stairs.

Love the word "uncouth" to describe the engine, sounds like the yobbo morons who drive past our house with open exhaust V8's cammed up so much they will not even run under 2.000rpm.

Solid wooden disc wheels! The Romans did better than that.

There was also a three-cylinder version of the dogcart; this was an uncouth 16 hp with the centre cylinder being of greater bore than the outer two. A 1905 Dogcart with solid wooden disc wheels still survives in Khartoum, inside the Sudan national museum, where it was supplied as a searchlight tender for the Sirdar of Egypt (Sir Reginald Wingate father of the famous General Wingate of WW2 Burma fame)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
1 year 2 months ago #243602 by jon_d
Delivered to Sudan.

Maybe they were out spotlighting camels?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 2 months ago #243608 by mammoth
1905 may be the date of manufacture but not necessarily of delivery. The front seat is for the passengers and the cover would be provided for either modesty or road dust. The wheels look to be composite ie with sheet steel holding it together.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #243610 by Lang
Steve

It was Ordered in September 1904 and Delivered October 1905. It is still alive in the Khartoum National Museum and easy to google photos.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 2 months ago #243611 by asw120
My mate up the road has an original, unrestored Arrol Johnston, about 1926. It has 4 wheel brakes and 12 volt electrics from original.
Still has a 1959 (?) rego sticker. Rides surprisingly well., but is certainly not fast.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Normanby, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.552 seconds