Skip to main content

Foden 2-stroke engines.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #246743 by Eightpot
Enlightenment please as to why they seem to like them in vehicles in New Zealand, but apparently were an absolute flop in Australia?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #246744 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Foden 2-stroke engines.
My Guess would be over heating, New Zealand is a long way south.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #246745 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Foden 2-stroke engines.
I disagree about the overheating story. New Zealand is not all that much further south than the southern half of Australia. For instance, the wine growing area of Nelson (at the northernmost tip of the South Island of New Zealand) is on the same latitude as the Barossa Valley, Australia's largest wine growing area.
I do not know the answer to Eightpot's question but maybe it has to do with the relative size of the countries. Interstate trucks in Australia can drive for anything up to 3000 miles between depots, while New Zealand is only 1000 miles long and split almost in the middle of that by Cook Strait, a 21 mile stretch of sea. Summertime temperatures may also be the reason, with parts of the outback of northern Australia reaching daytime temperatures of almost 50 degrees Celsius, about 180 Fahrenheit by my calculator the International R190 and R200, with the last of the petrol (gasoline) engines that were very popular in Australia were almost unheard of in New Zealand. Much of New Zealand is very mountainous, which may have something to do with operator choice.

Maybe Vichung or Blastermike or someone else in New Zealand can tell us their side of the story.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by Morris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #246750 by 77louie400

I disagree about the overheating story. New Zealand is not all that much further south than the southern half of Australia. For instance, the wine growing area of Nelson (at the northernmost tip of the South Island of New Zealand) is on the same latitude as the Barossa Valley, Australia's largest wine growing area.
I do not know the answer to Eightpot's question but maybe it has to do with the relative size of the countries. Interstate trucks in Australia can drive for anything up to 3000 miles between depots, while New Zealand is only 1000 miles long and split almost in the middle of that by Cook Strait, a 21 mile stretch of sea. Summertime temperatures may also be the reason, with parts of the outback of northern Australia reaching daytime temperatures of almost 50 degrees Celsius, about 180 Fahrenheit by my calculator the International R190 and R200, with the last of the petrol (gasoline) engines that were very popular in Australia were almost unheard of in New Zealand. Much of New Zealand is very mountainous, which may have something to do with operator choice.

Maybe Vichung or Blastermike or someone else in New Zealand can tell us their side of the story.

As YOU say Morris temperature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Zuffen

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #246757 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Foden 2-stroke engines.
I think terrain of the two countries is vastly different

Australia is flat, I mean really really flat, it is the flattest country on earth
And Australia is huge

NewZealnd is not only hilly but very slow travelling

So trucks only go a short distance before slowing for a bend, in Australia trucks are on full power for hours at a time

Anyway thats my take on it

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #246779 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Foden 2-stroke engines.
Paul, it might be flat but its mostly uphill with a perkins........

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, overnite, PaulFH, Southbound

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #246780 by 77louie400

Paul, it might be flat but its mostly uphill with a perkins........

Up hill with anything on the hay plain west bound
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by 77louie400.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #246783 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Foden 2-stroke engines.
Foden obviously had problems.....they went from a Mk1 to a Mk 7 in a few years ..........whats not generally know is GM didnt invent the small truck size blown two stroke diesel ........they were made in England in the late 1920s by Armstrong Whitworth,and there were several different makes of English small two stroke diesels before WW2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, PaulFH, Southbound

Time to create page: 0.547 seconds