Skip to main content

Shell BP Tankers

More
4 months 3 days ago - 4 months 3 days ago #249894 by Lang
Shell BP Tankers was created by Lang
While looking for PDU restoration photos I found the following interesting.

I alway believed Shell and BP to be direct competitors and was puzzled by the aircraft refueling tankers having both names while they fought tooth and nail for the road transport market.

Shell-Mex and BP Limited was a British  joint venture  between two petroleum companies –  Royal Dutch Shell  (Shell) and the  British Petroleum Company  (BP). It was formed in 1932 when both companies decided to merge their United Kingdom marketing operations, partly in response to the difficult economic conditions of the times.The parent organisations demerged their United Kingdom marketing operations in 1976. 

Last edit: 4 months 3 days ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Normanby, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, xspanrman, Brocky45

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 months 3 days ago #249895 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Shell BP Tankers
Here is a lovely little musical colourisation clip of the most beautiful airliner ever built, the Lockheed Constellation with a fuel tanker.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, wee-allis, Brocky45

More
4 months 3 days ago #249896 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Shell BP Tankers
Just found a whole site dedicated to Aussie Fuel Tankers

www.facebook.com/groups/490212664498043/posts/1739824356203528/
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, werkhorse, PDU

More
4 months 3 days ago #249897 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Shell BP Tankers
Lang, below the retail surface, it's amazing the amount of cooperation there is amongst oil companies. 
They'll often loan each other product, or even supply product on a permanent agreement. e.g. all petrol sold in the Pilbara is supplied by BP, regardless of the branding on the delivery truck or retail outlet. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
4 months 3 days ago #249907 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Shell BP Tankers
Seen claimed all the BP fuel supplied in Oz is from subsidiaries in India refining Russian crude .........BP saw the light around 15 years ago,and decided to close all its Australian refineries (still using the tank farms) and setup in India ,where the environmental regulations are very few ,and protesters even fewer..........Back in the day ,most of the Brisbane Northside fuel came from the BP product terminal at Whinstanes.........there was a marvellous GM powered UK Atkinson fire truck there ,similar to the one at the refinery ,but not the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, overlander, PaulFH

More
4 months 2 days ago #249908 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Shell BP Tankers
There are only two refineries left in Australia, Ampol at Lytton Queensland and Shell/Liberty partnership in Corio Victoria. 
Most of our fuel is imported from Singapore. It always amused me, talking to people who would refuse to use an inferior brand, or declare one brand gave superior economy. Miniscule amounts of additive are injected at the point of dispatch from the various companies' terminals. Sometimes these additives are manually included in a haphazard way at the (very) approximate rate of 4 litres per 8000 litres, hardly enough to make a miracle fuel.
The additives are a marketing tool. One company used to use a final filter ruse rather than an additive, remember the alleged filter on the bowzer nozzle? It was no bigger than a Z9 oil filter, but lasted tife of the bowzer hose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, overlander, PaulFH

More
4 months 6 hours ago #249945 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Shell BP Tankers
Lang .... yes a great site ... thought up by Phil Nynde ( Detective on this forum) and myself a few years ago.

Seems to be chugging along nicely with Somme great info and photos coming out of it

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, overlander, PaulFH, grandad

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 months 5 hours ago #249946 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Shell BP Tankers
Werk
gudday m8
RE:  Old Aussie Fuel Tankers
www.facebook.com/groups/490212664498043/media/photos
Please don't make the site ... Members only where U need to register
I have nothing to add to the site  but I do like vieing the pics
thanks
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, wee-allis

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #249950 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Shell BP Tankers
Some nice pics there
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 months 4 weeks ago - 3 months 4 weeks ago #249953 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Shell BP Tankers

Werk
gudday m8
RE:  Old Aussie Fuel Tankers
www.facebook.com/groups/490212664498043/media/photos
Please don't make the site ... Members only where U need to register
I have nothing to add to the site  but I do like vieing the pics
thanks
cya

I pretty much leave it for Phil to run ... as he had the original idea ... I just helped him in the technical side of getting it going 

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 3 months 4 weeks ago by Gryphon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, PaulFH, grandad

Time to create page: 0.598 seconds