Skip to main content

old logging pics southern tas

More
11 years 9 months ago #90845 by IHScout
Not that I am a tree hugging greenie, but I read a book similar to the one Ute253 talked about, about logging in California in the 50s and 60s and we visited some of the places in the book when we were over there a couple of years ago. There are some hills which to this day are as bare as the day they were first logged because taking the trees down allowed all the subsoil to wash away and now there is nothing left for new trees to grow in. I guess, responsible sustainable management of the forest is the answer. :o

Dennis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #90846 by Mrsmackpaul

Not that I am a tree hugging greenie, but I read a book similar to the one Ute253 talked about, about logging in California in the 50s and 60s and we visited some of the places in the book when we were over there a couple of years ago. There are some hills which to this day are as bare as the day they were first logged because taking the trees down allowed all the subsoil to wash away and now there is nothing left for new trees to grow in. I guess, responsible sustainable management of the forest is the answer. :o

yes we have a lot to thank our pollies for they introduced clear fell logging in the 80's in the Otways for OHS and no doubt other area's as well and went from something well manged to what have now didn't take them long to stuff up a good thing. Anyway let's not get to serious :D :D :D :D :D :D

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #90847 by
Replied by on topic Re: old logging pics southern tas
....Asea Brown Bouveri were (are?) a tassie hydro contracting outfit in longford (tas) and still had a couple of these pacifics in their yard in around 2000..

..ol' mate was peering through the fence and reckoned he was checking out a peterbilt conventional....can't really blame him, as there is more than a passing resemblance

also operated in the hydro scheme were the the twin steer pacific conventional winch trucks that had a slope bonnet not unlike an SAR....very tough looking beast

More
11 years 8 months ago #90848 by Holden Ute
cool pics not that mucth different then the old pics i have seen in vancouver island canada what kind of log loader was that

More
9 years 11 months ago #90849 by tongalafarm
Ol mates safety hat will be made from steel wool

More
9 years 11 months ago #90850 by BK
If you're interested in early logging practices (USA) there is hours of reading in this site.....very interesting read, with photos too.

www.vannattabros.com/index.html

Trust me

Time to create page: 0.447 seconds