Skip to main content

Logging in the Pines SE.Sth Aust

More
11 years 4 months ago #102160 by gilly
Returning to home territory, memories of the logging days, timber milling towns created in the 50!s, log cartage to the mills was started by adventerous people when I was a wee lad.

A museum at Nangwarry in Sth Aust, houses one of early modified Inters, old swing saws, chainsaws, drag saws etc.
One of my first driving jobs at 17, trained for a week to drive an AS 160 inter, 5 speed, 3 speed joey, bogie drive with diff lock, 16 ton logs etc, coming out of the bush in sand.
The old KB6 was one of the pioneer trucks from that era

drivers cockpit with friction drive winch, pto driven

road spray on the kb was hazardous, the AS at least had mudgaurds, although I do remember some sort of primitive guard over the front wheel.
I have other photos of the "rocker assembly on the bogie, a little like a Reyco design of later.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 4 months ago #102161 by
gilley
was you luckey enough to have any brakes on them old ladys ??????
all the old logging trucks i ever got to play with no brakes but young enough no brains to be scared was the adventure of my life ad over 49 yrs later i still miss that simple way of life :-[

More
11 years 4 months ago #102162 by gilly
Good subject RModel, The Dohnt family at Nangwarry at the time, the brothers, Morry, Max,Kevin, Nat, all had specific jobs in the w/shop, Kevin generally handled the brakes, with other employees (names escape me now)
Kev plumbed new lines in 3/8 pipe, believing that this would improve braking on one problem truck.
Imagine his frustration when it worsened, he later proving that the old 1/4lines worked better. we all know why now :-[, but this how they achieved the impossible, it was all trial & error, no fancy stats or computer models then.
Various other truck makes had the same winch set up fitted, old Macks from ww11, & I remember an Italian bloke from Tarpeena purchased a Loadstar with :D a v653, chrome stack, you could hear the damn thing coming for miles out in the bush ;)

A couple of more photos from Nangwarry museum, there is a Mack at Mt Gambier, belonged to N.F Mc Donnell & sons. Hope to get more photos soon..

Time to create page: 0.424 seconds