Skip to main content

The fastest Indian

11 years 3 months ago #103394 by
Replied by on topic Re: The fastest Indian
Rod,

Have a look at www.ehayes.co.nz/burt-munro/ it was at Hayes Hardware at Invercargill that I took the picture of the replica.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #103395 by Roderick Smith
Another wonderful link. Truth beats fiction, and there is a great album of varied views in the sidebar. What I hadn't realised: those record attempts overlapped my junior teenage years, and all of my classmates were petrol heads. We never even entered the gate for school swimming when we found an E-type Jaguar in the carpark. One (clearly unlicensed) 16 yo friend used to borrow his father's Triumph Spitfire at lunchtime and take us for spins around back streets. It wasn't just pretence that we preferred the Spitfire to the Austin Healey Sprite: it really was a rung up in the pecking order.

I have driven by Lake Bonney, but I have yet to take my boat into it. That was one of the venues (unsuccessful) for a (Sir) Donald Campbell Bluebird water speed record.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
11 years 3 months ago #103396 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic Re: The fastest Indian

I have driven by Lake Bonney, but I have yet to take my boat into it. That was one of the venues (unsuccessful) for a (Sir) Donald Campbell Bluebird water speed record.

I was there! ;D

Must raid The Father's place for pix 8-)

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

More
11 years 3 months ago #103397 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Re: The fastest Indian
Great stuff, as always Ronhorse! Keep stickin em up please..
By the way the book " the worlds fastest Indian" is a great read, better than the movie, (as most books are).
The old bloke Burt Munro was an ultra tightarse, used to drive his crew nuts , as he' d remove a brand new sparkplug to use a second hand one, to save money, then the bike would break down on a speed run due to a failed plug!
Ingenious bloke though, used to literally make everything, as he was too tight to buy it!
He reminded me a lot of the bloke in the " Mackworth" thread, ultra tight, but could do absolutely anything he set his mind to. The sort of fella that is sadly being lost these days.... A great book, read it if you can.
Probably a bit like the blokes in Horse's pictures!!!
Cheers
Richard

Time to create page: 0.428 seconds