Skip to main content

Templo

More
11 years 4 months ago #103425 by Raggsie
Templo was created by Raggsie
Any body out there remember a mob called Templo, was a Mayne Nickless subsidiary I think.
When I was a young fella and working 4 jobs a mate of my Old Mans gave me a go in his 1969 White 7000, slimline cab powered by 250 Cummins, 10 speed with Eaton diffs on Velvet Ride.
Ex Templo and vaguely remembered the colours, didn't really mean anything in those days.
He went on to paint her up and He and his Son worked her for a few years.
He sold her off to another guy who worked her round the wharf/rail in Melbourne for a number of years before selling to a colleague of mine.
He in turn used it for a short time while his truck was rebuilt and consequently sold it to me after I had sold my 9000.
Can't recall who I sold it to as I didn't much care at the time.
Never saw another like it in those colours or for that matter in the slimline version with Velvetride.
Hope it is not just another rusting relic in a wrecking yard somewhere as it may well have been unique ?
:)

1956 International AR160&&196? International A414&&1988 Ford F250&&1982 FORD

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #103426 by
Replied by on topic Re: Templo
g'day Raggsie .. Shell Oil Company had a few of these slim cab 7000's (GSC... was the first three letters of their rego) and odds on it was one of these....

...the sleeper version was a bit more common .. although they were sold normally to the highway operator....cheers mate :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #103427 by Raggsie
Replied by Raggsie on topic Re: Templo
No takers on the Templo name ?
Did a google on variations but the only direct reference I could find was an RTHOF inductee who had worked there.
Detective, Couldn't picture it as a Shell unit as it was very original when I first drove it and it would have only been 11 or 12 years old.
Not fuel kitted and as I recall in that era Shell had pretty much a fleet of Atkinsons (in Geelong at least).
Probably a bit heavy as well although I doubt that was factored into the equation in those days.
Plate was ALI from memory and I never saw anything having GSC plates apart from Shell as they recycled them right to the end as far as I know.
However I was wrong once and can stand to be corrected if the need arises.
Having said that has anybody ever seen a slimline White 7000 ?

More
11 years 3 months ago #103428 by kw10
Replied by kw10 on topic Re: Templo
Was it called Templo freezer freight,if it was i think they took over from Halls van lines which was taken over by Mayne nicks back in the late 70,s early 80,s . They had a yard in cammellia NSW bistbc cheers kw10

11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #103429 by
Replied by on topic Re: Templo
..g'day Raggsie .. i can definitely remember the Templo fleet and recall they were a blue colour..a bit like the Sea Pak colour and possibly later went to white with the Templo signage...

also regarding the White 7000's, it can become a bit of a muddle, as there were the ''Diamond Reo'' cabbed White 7000's which were assembled out of kits at Coopers Plains in QLD and then there were the genuine White 7000's that had a pretty good following in Australia....but very few slim cabs...

...i've seen a couple of slim 7000's and one in particular ended its days at Victoria Truck Wreckers in Somerton...originally 250 Cummins and RR ...it kind of came from nowhere in the early/mid 90's, about the same time i was operating the Peterbilt in with Union Steel, and was operated by ''Ozzie'' Mifsud from Kilmore in a plain white with green chassis prior to its demise....although it was in another colour scheme when he first operated it on containers and general...

..i alluded to the Shell connection for a couple of reasons..mainly the Velvet Ride rear suspension, which was very popular with the fuel companies when they operated Whites and also there is a piccy in an old T&BT advert showing a picture of one of their slim 7000's, along with a caption explaining about their run with them.....cheers

More
11 years 3 months ago #103430 by Raggsie
Gidday Detective,
This one could have been one of its brothers, the colours are similar to when I first drove it but was repainted a darker blue as I recall.

Mine had steel disc rims and slimline cab of course but this one worked around the wharf at the same time.
The one you mention could have been the same one as that paint would have been on there a good 12 years and was pretty ordinary when I sold it about 1991/2

More
11 years 3 months ago #103431 by 1977NorlingInter
Replied by 1977NorlingInter on topic Re: Templo
Howdy Raggsie. Dad just said what part of Mayne Nicks? Dad worked at Zealand on Footscray Road back of Vic State Transport when I was only 6 yrs old.

More
11 years 3 months ago #103432 by Raggsie
As the heading says mate Templo.

More
11 years 3 months ago #103433 by 1977NorlingInter
Replied by 1977NorlingInter on topic Re: Templo
Good Onya