Skip to main content

What was the outcome?

More
11 years 3 months ago #103612 by Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #103613 by Mrsmackpaul
bugger me that sound like 2 partys are getting pretty serious about an old truck neither has payed anything for! :o

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 3 months ago #103614 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: What was the outcome?
Judging by the photo the blokes in Gatton are well into it and doing a good job.

Would have thought that was a good outcome for the Historic Vehicle movement overall.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

More
11 years 3 months ago #103615 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: What was the outcome?

Judging by the photo the blokes in Gatton are well into it and doing a good job.

Would have thought that was a good outcome for the Historic Vehicle movement overall.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

... and a perfect project for the 'Men in Sheds' program!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #103616 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: What was the outcome?
Lang, I was talking to a Mack man near Gatton about 6 months ago and it didn't sound like the truck was going to leave Gatton then.

Jimbo, it looks the same as when it left Moorooka. The previous owner had spent a fair bit of money on it about 8 or 10 years previously at about the most expensive restoration place in Brisso. They actually restore sports cars not trucks. Nothing happened with it after all that time so the owner of the resto jiont got the TT's and pushed it out onto the street. You can imagine how much room it was taking up in there, they probobly could have got another 4 Porches in there after the pushed it outside.

The truck was in the HCVAQ newsletter as free to a good home sort of thing. I went and had a look and everything was on the street or the footpath and no two ways, old mate at the resto jiont wanted it gone.
Was a bit of unfortunate turn of events in that as far as I know, the RTHOF had talked to the owner and he had given it to them with paperwork, and the Gatton Council had also enquired about it. Guess the Gatton Council turned up first, only thing was I think the RTHOF also sent and paid for a truck to pick it up so they were understanably not to impressed. To be honest, I meant to ask when we were at the HCVAQ's Gatton show but I forgot.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by bigcam.

More
11 years 3 months ago #103617 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: What was the outcome?
Interesting to find out who has been judged the rightful "owner".

If the men's shed is as good a community service as several others I have seen it will be doing more good there than in Alice Springs.

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #103618 by Cunning Stunt
That's right, the Mens Shed in Gatton has it but unsure of the current state of restoration. The photo shown was when the timber work was completed about ten years ago. Once it was donated - to both parties - the timber was rotten and needed most replacing as the restoration shop who had done the initial work had left it outside once a storage issue came up. I had done the negotiating on behalf of the RTHOF with the owner at the time and was a bit disappointed when it suddenly disappeared.

You are right Cam, a semi was sent across at great cost to pick it up and it was gone.

The idea was to preserve it, whether or not it would have been restored better at one place or the other is beside the point. Despite the legal bs that went on, the most important thing is that this rare and impressive truck is saved, it nearly went to scrap.

Some play hard to get
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Cunning Stunt.

11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #103619 by
Replied by on topic Re: What was the outcome?
...i just reckon it's crook if money will be spent on legalistic crap, when for the betterment of the movement the dollars would be well spent on something actually worthwhile that needs money thrown at it, so something could possibly be displayed... :(

...sensible negotiations are called for in this situation and no one should give a tinker's cuss for the politics ::) ::) ::)

More
11 years 3 months ago #103620 by Mrsmackpaul
good point detective I would have thought RTHOF would run on donations and government grants as does men's shed? And the whole point of RTHOF was to preserve history they have already probably wasted enough money sending a truck over and if the truck is to be preserved anyway don't see the problem RTHOF could spend there money a lot more usefuly probably at home ? And if the men's shed decided that it is beyond them the RTHOF could then take over all in all I would have thought a better outcome for old vehicles and make those all important dollars go further but what would I know regards Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 3 months ago #103621 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: What was the outcome?
Biggest problem with all these sorts of deals; Is.

Politics & egos DON"T mix.............

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds