Skip to main content

Tasmania

More
11 years 3 months ago #103963 by graemets3
Tasmania was created by graemets3
Heading to Tasmania on the 30th January. Anybody know of any old screamers down that way? Commers, Fodens, GM's, UD's. Even would like to hunt down any GM powered Terex's, Euclid's, Wabco's, Allis-Chalmers. Thank you

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #103964 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Tasmania
Mate you will find all sorts of old gear down here just be prepared to get off the main tourist routes.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
11 years 3 months ago #103965 by Desotodav
Replied by Desotodav on topic Re: Tasmania
We just got back from a 2 week driving holiday down that way - did 2000 k's in 12 days. Rained 10 out of the 12 days we were there. They've had nasty fires and an earthquake since then.
Got a letter from the hire vehicle company last week alleging that we damaged the car (stone chip in windscreen) and they want $280. Take good photos before and after if you're using a Budget car!
Saw some old trucks in a paddock up near Smithton but didn't get a chance to stop.
Was hoping to locate a fella that I knew called Dallas with a Desoto truck like mine, but didn't have enough info to find him.
Have a great trip down there - plenty to see and do!

Desotodav

More
11 years 3 months ago #103966 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Re: Tasmania

We just got back from a 2 week driving holiday down that way - did 2000 k's in 12 days. Rained 10 out of the 12 days we were there. They've had nasty fires and an earthquake since then.
Got a letter from the hire vehicle company last week alleging that we damaged the car (stone chip in windscreen) and they want $280. Take good photos before and after if you're using a Budget car!
Saw some old trucks in a paddock up near Smithton but didn't get a chance to stop.
Was hoping to locate a fella that I knew called Dallas with a Desoto truck like mine, but didn't have enough info to find him.
Have a great trip down there - plenty to see and do!

Desotodav

You think Budget are bad, then don't try Europcar. They tried similar on me,but because they didn't check it immediately when I dropped it off, I fought it and they backed off. I now always insist they check it while I,m there,if not get them to sign to say so.

More
11 years 3 months ago #103967 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Tasmania
Had the same problem with Europcar a couple of years back trying to blame us for damage, but when shown the photos taken prior to us driving off (including speedo) when first hired they soon backed down.

More
11 years 3 months ago #103968 by Tired Iron
Replied by Tired Iron on topic Re: Tasmania
Hire cars-I often hire a car, and often pick it up in darkness. Pic of speedo, check all over as best you can in the dark-go to lit area and look again.
Slightest hint of damage-ring up, ask for operators name and location, note all that and time and take more pics.
Avoid low profile tyres (Holden XR6 and Falcon whatever?) as they cost $500 to fix including rim damage. Think about it-low profile tyre, one revolution and rim is usually damaged.
No getting out of it-read the contracts, Yes, Europcar shonky, cars usually poor preparation. I use Avis almost exclusively-good presentation, new cars, good service except Sydney where it's just absolute rubbish. Budget ok-all franchised , so you just take pot luck.
You bend it-thousands off your card, you get the change months later when it's all settled.
Think I'll catch the train next time having spouted all that.
Hooray

More
11 years 3 months ago #103969 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Re: Tasmania
I always use my Westpac platinum card, that way the max you have to pay is $500.

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds