Skip to main content

Inverell/Moree Old truck pictures

• Topic Author
11 years 2 months ago #108749 by
I am trying to chase down any old pictures from this district from 1925 to mid 50's that might show my truck in its working days.

Have had this picture sent to me from info@inverellfamilyhistory.org.au

If anyone has any old pictures please contact me.

Trevor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #108750 by Ray Bell
I get into those areas fairly often... and you never know who I'll meet there, I'll keep it in mind. What signwriting might have been on it?

Have you tried sending a pic and a request to the papers?

That would be the Moree Champion and the Inverell Times, also if you think it did time towards Armidale a good one would be the Armidale Independent. I think there's also a local paper at Warialda, but none at Delungra. Bingara has the Advocate, I think it's called.

• Topic Author
11 years 2 months ago #108751 by
Ray

Thanks for the reply.

I have not tried the papers yet that was my next move, have still got a couple of places looking for me, and am also waiting on some more pictures/address/name of the place the truck was pulled out of about 30 years ago.

Just relised i didnt put a picture of the truck up.

Trevor

More
11 years 2 months ago #108752 by hoarder1
The Inverell Transport museum (probably not the correct name) might also be a help, Trevor.

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb

More
11 years 2 months ago #108753 by Ray Bell
Possibly, I didn't think of them...

You'd have to get onto the right people, though. Ron Thorp (lives at the airport just to the east of Inverell) is one of the main ones there, but he's only been in Inverell thirty years or so. Some might remember that he raced an AC Cobra back in the mid-sixties when he was based down towards Wollongong.

There are trucks on display there as well as cars, I'd say the owners of those trucks would be the people to start with. The system with the museum is that the club has the cars on display, the owners can take them there and leave them, or take them away again, as they wish. Some have many cars and keep some at home and some at the museum, they switch them around as they wish.

John Wills would be another good starting point, he seems to be interested in the history of the place and he's definitely motor-oriented.

• Topic Author
11 years 2 months ago #108754 by

The Inverell Transport museum (probably not the correct name) might also be a help, Trevor.

Hoarder1

That's one i am waiting to see what they have got, it took me 4 years to finally get in touch with the bloke that pulled it out of the barn, now the effort is to try and trace it back even further.

Thus the chasing of early pictures as anyone in 1927 that was old enough to remember it when new will most probably not be with us any more.

Trevor

More
11 years 2 months ago #108755 by mammoth
Graham Burham restored the solid tyre Leyland and Brockway at the museum but is too young to remember the Inter. Hedley Abra at Delungra might know. But the key is to follow the country system of identification; that is property name and family name, once you have either of those the connections can start.

More
11 years 2 months ago #108756 by Ray Bell
Is he the bloke with the workshop there... up above the highway junction with the road to Graman/Bonshaw?

There was an elderly bloke in there I was talking to one day a few years ago, he might well be worth asking.

Ironically, I would reckon that my grandfather would have been familiar with this truck. He was a linesman with the PMG in Warialda in 1925-27, then in Inverell from then until about 1933. Of course, he's long departed the scene.

There wouldn't have been many trucks running around the district in the late twenties, my grandfather drove the PMG one so he would have known most of them.

He did take photos, I was once told he had glass plate negatives under his house. But they've undoubtedly been scattered to the winds now...

• Topic Author
11 years 2 months ago #108757 by

. But the key is to follow the country system of identification; that is property name and family name, once you have either of those the connections can start.

Mammoth

As it took so long to get this far am trying as hard as i can to get that next link, might have to take a run up to Port Macquarie and see if i can knock on the blokes door, If only i had his address. I have his email but he is not responding at the moment.

Trevor

• Topic Author
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #108758 by
Another old picture from Inverell

Burge Brothers was a big emporium corner of Byron and Vivian Streets Inverell.

Trevor

Time to create page: 0.437 seconds