Skip to main content

OLD M.A.N TRUCKS

More
10 years 10 months ago #111746 by 82cabover
Replied by 82cabover on topic Re: OLD M.A.N TRUCKS
g/day 77 mate that red one with the bogie tipper id reckon was a coal carter in it's youth ;)

livin the dream oldskool is cool

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #111747 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Re: OLD M.A.N TRUCKS

Hey 77Louie400, that green MAN in the first pic on your farm. The one on the right, that cab is nicknamed "Chubby Cheeks". It is the same as my white day cabbed MAN 650 that I am fixing up. is it still there, or parts of it anywhere? Anyboby?.

Cannot find any in Australia except for 1 in Qld who will only sell me the whole truck at more than I can pay.
thanks, Stephen

Sorry mate it's gone 25 years ago, I have a couple of diffs under the pine trees and a few bits and pices for the brown cab over there was a diasembled gear box in the shed at mums, what bits do you need.

More
10 years 10 months ago #111748 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Re: OLD M.A.N TRUCKS

g/day 77 mate that red one with the bogie tipper id reckon was a coal carter in it's youth ;)

Not sure Gordon Dunn at bathurst had it on a 3 deck stock crate for as long as I remember, until my brother brought it then went to the wreckers at lawson.

More
10 years 6 months ago #111749 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
My old 1968 is a 650F and the cab type is nicknamed "Chubby Cheeks". My white day cabbed MAN 650 below that I am fixing up. Parts of anywhere? Anybody?.

Cannot find any in Australia except for 1 in Qld who will only sell me the whole truck at more than I can pay.
By the way, has Trilex axles, but the diff was missing and axle was not a MAN one. The MAN one I got and seems to be Autobahn ratio at 2.88 but with only a 150HP 6cyl diesel, and a 12 spd ZF 'pogostick' gearbox I do not expect it to get into gear 10, 11, or 12.
Thanks, Stephen
[IMG

[IMG

Kind Regards

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #111750 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: OLD M.A.N TRUCKS
Stephen,

I have a vague recollection of a similar post you made quite some time ago - I thought you managed to find the bits. I still think you've nothing to lose by joining the (appropriately named) Lkw Stephan forum and leaving a message on the Pausbacke thread:

www.baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/thread.php?threadid=6869

I'm sure there will be enough English speakers there but if not, Google Translate is your friend.

Cheers

T
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Tatra.

More
10 years 6 months ago #111751 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: OLD M.A.N TRUCKS
...and just to add to this thread, an Israeli MAN with the 320 hp V10 (pic: Y. Chen)

and a slightly smaller and earlier one, also in Israel (Harvard U Israel Collection)

More
10 years 6 months ago #111752 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: OLD M.A.N TRUCKS
Wouldn't the 2.88 ratio be part of a hub reduction set up? 2 to 1 hubs would bring it back to 5.76 which is right for a heavy duty truck.

More
10 years 6 months ago #111753 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
Steve, that would be the case if I got the ratio from the diff ratio on the splines without taking into acct that it is hub reduction as you point out correctly.
I got it by the old school way a wrecker taught me. Lift up one wheel with the other on ground. Turn the drive shaft to make the wheel turn and keep turning, Counting as you go because you marked the drive shaft yoke first) until the tyre make TWO full turns. If both wheels were turning they would only have to turn once. If one is stuck the free one turns twice as fast. With this method yoke turned 2.88 times around.

Kind Regards

More
10 years 6 months ago #111754 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: OLD M.A.N TRUCKS
Somewhere in that recipe..
'Double the turns' is missing.. ;)

chocs 8-)

More
10 years 6 months ago #111755 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: OLD M.A.N TRUCKS

Steve, that would be the case if I got the ratio from the diff ratio on the splines without taking into acct that it is hub reduction as you point out correctly.
I got it by the old school way a wrecker taught me. Lift up one wheel with the other on ground. Turn the drive shaft to make the wheel turn and keep turning, Counting as you go because you marked the drive shaft yoke first) until the tyre make TWO full turns. If both wheels were turning they would only have to turn once. If one is stuck the free one turns twice as fast. With this method yoke turned 2.88 times around.

mate I dont no weather you are right 2.88 sounds realy quick to me but your theory is wright so that must be it but it would do at guess 1200 rpm or less 100km/h sounds almost undriveble but I could be wrong . I was taught tape a bit of string on the tail shaft jack up one wheel and turn it around once count how many wraps of string and divide bye two should work the same as what you have done good luck with those parts seeya
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.571 seconds