Skip to main content

Thanks for Sandown 2009

More
14 years 4 months ago #19040 by roadster
Now that I am back home and staying in to keep away from the snow, I would like to say thankyou to the organisers and exhibitors at Sandown. I was in Australia for a month and it was one of the highlights of my visit; even the rain made me feel at home! It was a bit too far to bring one of my lorries, even for a trusty and economical Gardner! I was particularly taken with the Detroit engined Atkinson as I do like my 2 stroke diesels. It even gave me ideas as I know where there is a 8V92 and there are still some rough Borderers about quite cheap!
Well, thanks again for a very entertaining day,

Rod

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 4 months ago #19041 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Thanks for Sandown 2009

Roadster
GuddayM8

Sorry I did no of your visit
U shoulda made your presence more known

Glad U liked Sandown Truck Show
It can only get bigger n better

any pix U wanna share with us all?

Thanx in advance

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 4 months ago #19042 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Thanks for Sandown 2009
G'day Rod,
As Swishy said, you should have made yourself known to us. We knew Roland was out from pommy land and we would have been pleased to meet you as well. Thanks for the kind words about the display, a lot of effort went into it. Naturally it would have been better without the rain but you can't win them all. Keep in touch and post some pics of your trucks.
Ray

More
14 years 4 months ago #19043 by roadster
Thanks for the greetings, I did speak to a few people at the show and was made to feel welcome. Here is one picture taken on one of our road runs earlier this year; helping one of the others who couldn't get any grip on the damp grass at the lunch time stop. I just hitched up, engaged the third diff lock and pulled away at tickover without leaving a mark on the grass! My lorry in this pic is a 1972 ERF LV with a Gardner 180 engine, 6 speed David Brown O/D gearbox and double drive Kirkstall axles.
I can post some more pics of local lorries if you like.

Rod

14 years 4 months ago #19044 by
Replied by on topic Re: Thanks for Sandown 2009
Hi Rod,

Welcome to the forum.
Take it from me, its a great place.
You may have to pick up some Oz terminology but its well worth it.
Yes Sandown was BLOODY wet , but memorable :)

Cheers
RS :)

More
14 years 4 months ago #19045 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Thanks for Sandown 2009
Hi Rod,don't be shy with the pics mate.We had those ERF's here.This is a pic of one at an auction a couple of years ago.The cabin was wood framed fibreglass and all the wood had rotted in the fibreglass causing the cabin to sort of implode a bit.The windscreen fell out of it while we were there,and the doors wouldn't close.It had a 220 Cummins in it and a roadranger.

More
14 years 4 months ago #19046 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Thanks for Sandown 2009
Here's another couple of Pommie Oil Engined lorries that where at the same auction.

More
14 years 4 months ago #19047 by Jake Brake
That Foden Cam is now sitting in Cobram Victoria.

White the greatest name in trucks.

More
14 years 4 months ago #19048 by atkipete
Welcome aboard Roadster, hope you enjoyed your visit. Atkinson did very well out here, the change to US running gear, the Reinforced Plastics cab and the wider chassis made them an ideal heavy truck. A pity that the parent company didnt move with the times as well.

More
14 years 4 months ago #19049 by roadster
My ERF cab frame timber is a bit soft in places. I had to refit the drivers door this year as the screws had pulled out. It is not easy to replace the timber as the fibreglass is bonded round it. I am just about to start on a Mk1 Atkinson rebuild which is a bit simpler construction and all the timber is available off the shelf. I will post a pic of the Atki on the Atki thread on this forum.
Here are some pics of a club run in March this year, it was a glorious spring day!

The only lorry probably not recognised by most people is the cream and red one next to the Commer Karrier in the sixth picture: it is a Rowe Hillmaster built in Cornwall. If anyone would like additional info on any of the pics just ask.
The Scammel showtrac and caravan managed to get round the narrow lanes without any scratches! Sorry that some of the shots are not as sharp as they should have been.
Rod

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds