Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Thanks for Sandown 2009

RdStir
GuddayM8

Gr8 pix
Keep m Cummin

Gotta luv the Scammel n gypsy wagon

LOL

RE: cab frame timber is a bit soft in places

Could U drill hole n squirt sum hard setting expanding foam to replace the timber as support?

;D

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by Swishy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #19051 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Thanks for Sandown 2009
Hi Rod, thanks for your photo's, took me back more years than I care to remember. The first truck I drove on interstate, running cars to Sydney & waste paper back to Melbourne was a BMC diesel(underpowered) prime mover with an underslung turntable trailer. You have blue & red one shown, can't remember the model but it was the rounded front not square. After that it was an upgrade to a Perkins powered Commer & single axle pan subbing for Altrans, then another one out of your photo's which I had forgotten about was an AEC Mandator single drive twin stick (joey box) also for a subbie of Altrans. Thanks for reviving the memories.
Glad you enjoyed the wet Sandown. I drove my nephews IH Transtar CO4070A up from Geelong for the day. Hope you went home with good memories of Aus. Cheers Tim

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
14 years 3 months ago #19052 by atkipete
Like to see some photos if you have them Tim, now what do you mean by an underslung turntable ?

More
14 years 3 months ago #19053 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Thanks for Sandown 2009
Pete,an underslung turntable is mounted behind the back wheels of the prime mover,under the chassis.Car Carriers usually use them.

More
14 years 3 months ago #19054 by atkipete
Had seen them but didnt know what they were called. Have noticed a container truck who tows a 20' pup trailer and uses one of these. is it a normal 50mm pin or is the whole unit a smaller size?

More
14 years 3 months ago #19055 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Thanks for Sandown 2009
Hi Atkipete, yep Bigcam nailed it in one, the turntable mounted under the chassis right up behind the diff. The tray was quite short, only fitted 1 car on the tray. The turntable was probably about the same diameter as the diff housing from memory, I only had the trailer disconnected once. there was a large bolt, about 1" dia. went through the centre & held it all together. We used to cart mainly Rootes Group cars, Humber Snipes to Canberra & Sydney, Hillman Hunters, Sunbeam Rapiers & Hillman Imps, the odd Fiat, Citroen, etc. The drawbar on the trailer used to go down under the tray of the truck & hook into the turntable, it was'nt a quick hitch at all.
A load was 6 cars, 3 up & 3 down. Frame work for the top was all round pipe held together with scaffolding clamps. Can you imagine trying to do something like that today. All good though, never lost any cars.
cya Tim

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds