Skip to main content

OKA Gathering

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244597 by Lang
OKA Gathering was created by Lang
Just returned from the OKA gathering at Wompinni Station west of Wentworth on the Murray River.

We got 50 of these interesting Australian designed and built 4x4 trucks. No two the same as every owner has modified the bodies to suit himself.

We got the best spot, photo of Bev relaxing by the mighty Murray. I had fun for a couple of days on the owner's JCB back hoe knocking down trees and building a 750m long airstrip.

Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, wouldyou, Inter-Action, Mrsmackpaul, Normanby, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, xspanrman and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #244604 by Mrsmackpaul
Looks like a good turn out Lang
There's a fella on Facelessbook thats been rebuilding one that was going there

Green coloured job, looked like no expense spared type of build

I gather he made it

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 1 month ago #244607 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic OKA Gathering
Paul

They are not expensive to restore but like everything there are some people with $200,000 and more in their machines. Many have electrical systems like a space shuttle and you have to put up with them yapping on about their transformers, deformers, reformers and non-conformers.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
1 year 1 month ago #244615 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic OKA Gathering
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yep you get that every where Lang

I guess some people are super proud of their achievements

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
1 year 1 month ago #244617 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic OKA Gathering
there is a guy on the caravan forum I visit who has hisOKA and he makes shackle pins and bushes. Dont know his name but seems a decent bloke online.
Read today about one of those 5th wheelers pulling into a van park. When another couple returned to their van later in the day they found that the power had been pulled from the pole that fed their van and another plug filled the postion. They followed the lead back to this 5th wheeler and asked why he pulled their power out and had spoilt a fridg full of tucker plus beer. He simply said he needed the extra power to drive his fridge in the annex.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackduck59, 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 year 1 month ago #244621 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic OKA Gathering
Cobba, That Bloke is begging for an Attitude adjustment...!! either that or I'm just a Grumpy old B*&&^%#D

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackduck59, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244630 by Lang
Much like the people in crowded camp sites or remote beauty spots starting a generator. Have you noticed they try to carry it as far away from themselves as possibe - often closer to somebody else.

To the three people at the Old Station Fly-in whose generators ceased to run at 10.00 at night, don't worry, the cup of water in the fuel tank can be easily drained.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackduck59, cobbadog, asw120, V8Ian, theabundantlife

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244631 by Lang
Here is a video made to promote this year's gathering. It shows the huge variations in bodies on the standard OKA platform. Most are still powered by the Turbo 110hp Perkins but certainly no flyer. A large number have forked out $30,000 to have the Cummins 6BT and Allison gearbox which makes them untouchable - even for Unimogs. I am a great believer in there is no such thing as too much power but at my stage of life I will be happy with 95kmh on the highway and a changing down on hills. Off road the gearing makes everybody equal, particularly in sandhills.

There is no formal OKA club and I don't know who came up with the motto on the sticker but I suppose everybody charging around through the shrubbery in a 5 ton monster is putting the environment first.

The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

More
1 year 1 month ago #244632 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic OKA Gathering

Just returned from the OKA gathering at Wompinni Station west of Wentworth on the Murray River.

We got 50 of these interesting Australian designed and built 4x4 trucks.

Lang, I'm the first to admit I Know SFA about OKA's... But
after doing some googling about them i see were some built in India prior to the whole show going belly up..

Did any Indian Built versions make into Australia..?

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244633 by Lang
Hayseed

The Indian versions under licence to Hindustan Motors were only 2 wheel drive and a mere shadow of the real OKA's. I am almost certain none came to Australia. A lot of the parts came from Hindustan Motors famous Ambassador taxi's and less than 25% of the vehicle is compatible with the real OKA's.

Lang

The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed, PaulFH, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds