Skip to main content

Convoy - Syd to Dubbo for Show

More
13 years 9 months ago #31070 by busntruck
Big Al, There is three semi's leaving from the HVCCVC on Friday morning loaded with vehicles, but will be going faster than 30 mph. 8-)
A few AEC's were driving to Dubbo from the Hunter, but I am unsure if they are now going? Make some phone calls may be best.

"Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #31071 by BigAl
Thanks Mammoth and busntruck.
Wonder if i can get a faster worm out of a wreck and into mine within a week???

More
13 years 9 months ago #31072 by busntruck
[quote
Wonder if i can get a faster worm out of a wreck and into mine within a week???[/quote]
Big Al, You would be lucky to find a faster ratio Leyland worm diff centre?
If you can find two of them, I will buy one off you.
Have a chat to "Mr AEC" and twist his arm to take one out.

More
13 years 9 months ago #31073 by mammoth
worm diffs were offered in the following ratio = one size fits all. :-X The usual mod is to put a joey box in to gear it up, however you need to be careful as the worm will only stand so much speed before either rapidly wareing(?) due to lack of lubrication, or blowing the top cover off. Also beware that modern diff & gear oils are not compatible with the the bronze inards and you need to source a special oil to look after the unobtainium inside the diff housing.

13 years 9 months ago #31074 by
I use Penrite Trans-oil 90 in my diff in 1934 British Bedford as it has no additives but anyhow contact Penrite and they will put on the right track. Dave

More
13 years 9 months ago #31075 by busntruck
Mammoth, There is a heap of different ratios in the AEC bus worm drive diff centres. :-X
The Leyland bus diff centres were not the same as an AEC.
The high speed Leyland bus diff centres were very hard to get, the high speed AEC bus diff centres were much easier to get. (Have a chat to Joe F at Dubbo)
I think Big Al is the bloke with the Leyland tow truck made up from a Leyland bus chassis & parts at Hamilton goverment bus depot workshops. (But I could be wrong)

13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #31076 by
mammoth - The EP transmission oil incompatibility with bronze components was true in the 1950's and 1960's, but has now been overcome with newer types of additives that don't attack the bronze.
The original EP additives were active sulphur compounds that formed a wear-and-extreme-pressure-resistant coating on gear teeth, via a chemical reaction.
This chemical reaction by the active sulphur compound ate bronze metals away, rather than coating them. It really only got bad when the oil temperature got high, around 120

More
13 years 9 months ago #31077 by mammoth
So I am wrong on both cou :-/nts
I have seen current oil company literature which does advise using a different oil for bronze. For example, the Fuchs rep was emphatic that their Titan power gear M460 was used and not the regular 460

More
13 years 9 months ago #31078 by BigAl

I think Big Al is the bloke with the Leyland tow truck made up from a Leyland bus chassis & parts at Hamilton goverment bus depot workshops. (But I could be wrong)

You got me! :) All going well over the next two days it will be registered and on show at Dubbo. (quite possibly the furthest it has ever been in both bus and current guise)

Mammoth, if you are out at Dubbo come have a look and you will see why a joey box is not an option for me!

Time to create page: 0.455 seconds