Skip to main content

A few Questions

More
8 years 6 months ago #162867 by dieseldog
A few Questions was created by dieseldog
Well, I finally made it back here after a few issues resetting my password. I would like to say a big thankyou to all of those involved in the changeover. You guys have done a marvellous job!

A few items of curiosity-

I have got my post count back since all was lost in the great crash a few months ago and it appears to have been counting in the background as well.

The advertising that I am seeing, it is obviously paid for, but who is receiving the dollars? The HCVC?

The forum statistics, do we have something similar on this new forum?

Are we able to reinstate the date and time each post was made? No biggie, I just though it was a little easier than looking at X days, x hours ago.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #162877 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic A few Questions
Hi,

not sure what you mean by 'counting in the background' but part of the migration the new software went through all the posts and members and recounted the totals etc. as best as it could match a post and the owner.

The advertisements at the moment are what has been running on the club site for years as a bit of extra exposure for the sponsors of the HCVC and I would expect they pay some money to appear in The Monitor and Display Days etc. but nothing extra for appearing on the website. The new software opens up more possibilities for exposure and revenue for the HCVC and has been something mention in past years, "is it possible..?" type thing, but up to the club and committee to work out what they want to do now.

Bottom right corner of the forum 'Index' page is a 'More Statistics' link which probably has what you are looking for.

I will have a look for something in the way of an option to fiddle with the date format on posts. X Hours ago or yesterday makes sense, but the mental process required to go back 8 months does make the brain hurt. :)

Terry

More
8 years 6 months ago #162880 by Gryphon
Hi,

You can see I have altered the date format displayed to use Today, Yesterday and then the Date for the older posts.

However there seems to be a bug IMHO where it considers Today to be anywhere in the previous 24 hours rather than this side of midnight so I have something else to follow up.

The alternative is to have just the date and remove Today and Yesterday from the recent posts.

Terry

More
8 years 6 months ago #162910 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic A few Questions
DD, It has also "found" Mairjimmy's posts from his EX (pre crash) profile & combined the total as well...
NFI how It happened But happened It has..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mairjimmy

More
8 years 6 months ago #162913 by Gryphon
Hi,

The reason the posts have come back is because of a [strike]side effect[/strike] feature in the code I had to write to match posts to people during the conversion process.

The old forum software had a strange way of storing who made the post originally so when people who had changed their user name at some stage got recreated after the corruption a few months back, the old software could match them up but my conversion routine could.

Terry

More
8 years 6 months ago #162946 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic A few Questions
I found that after the crash, I couldn't have my user name the same as before because it was already in use. A couple of weeks ago when I was having a look at this new forum, I noticed my old profile was no longer ex member and I had my post count back, so I had a go at changing my user name back to the former, and it accepted it.

Gryphon, would the changeover have affected our PM's? I'm wondering that since I got my post count and username back, maybe I would get my old messages back. I lost a few phone numbers there, but then again, I probably should have written them down.

More
8 years 6 months ago #162977 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic A few Questions
Have had message log in can't find anything?????

More
8 years 6 months ago #162984 by Gryphon
Hi,

No PM's were converted as part of the migration as they were going to take up too much time and effort to come up with the code to convert them.

I had a quick try at getting the old forum up and running under a different domain name the other day but didn't quite manage it. However I will have another go during the week and if I get it working people can have it available for say 48 hours to go in and grab any details from PM's they may want. The alternative is I can look in the back ups and copy a text file of each persons PM's and email it to them.

Terry

More
8 years 6 months ago #162986 by Zoomtopz
Replied by Zoomtopz on topic A few Questions
B) Up & running :woohoo:
Zoomie

Zoomie

More
8 years 5 months ago #163723 by fargo1
Replied by fargo1 on topic A few Questions

Gryphon wrote: Hi,

You can see I have altered the date format displayed to use Today, Yesterday and then the Date for the older posts.

However there seems to be a bug IMHO where it considers Today to be anywhere in the previous 24 hours rather than this side of midnight so I have something else to follow up.

The alternative is to have just the date and remove Today and Yesterday from the recent posts.

Terry

Hi Gryphon
Has this changed again as I can't seem to find any reference to when a post was posted. Also I noticed when I go into the "Trucks For Sale" home page, there is no quick way to return to the Forum Index page. (Other pages have this at the top & bottom of the page). Anyway I would like to thank everyone involved with the change over for the time & effort they have put in. Well done! :) :) :)

Stephen

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds