Skip to main content

Lookin4 Goyder Line SA & maybe a ute

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #140523 by Bobsboy
Going on leave 12 - 25 April.
Out of Adelaide.

My plan/ theme for this trip is to see and understand the Goyder Line, first hand.
Start with the Kadina Triangle, Crystal Brook, Melrose, Orroroo, Peterborough then south towards Burra and home.
(or maybe just drive on forever.)

Wiggle waggling my back road course as fancy takes me and stay in pub hotels where I find them.

I expect to see a few things mechanical along the way to clickety click and;
perhaps find the steel bumper 4x2 ute (1995-2005) of my dreams.
(Cab and a half, or twin.)

Just a chap with no where to go and a long time to get there.
Ah, sweet serendipity.

If it all gets to hard or crazy by Easter Friday, (frantic holiday folk), I'm only a short drive away from perfectly good digs in Adelaide.

The Goyder Line, old trucks and machinery - in the field or if I'm invited, sheded.
Pubs, counter meals, a bed just up the stairs and eyes open for a steel bumper ute. . .

How good does it get [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] and what could possibly go wrong? :(
(Well, that's half the fun innit?)

Any thoughts or ideas from the regional brothers?
(pm or post)

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Bobsboy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140524 by Roderick Smith
I don't know how much of the territory you have covered before. All of those places were a second home to me late 1960s to early 70s, but I didn't get enought photos across multiple future hobbies.
Worth checking:
* the current appearance of former Railway Hotel at Mannahill.
* the current appearance of the former pub at Black Rock (I suspect delicensed long ago).
* Horrocks Pass.
* A park with waterfall, on part of Heysen Track (somewhere near Wilmington). I think that it is this one:
<www.beautifulvalley.com.au>
* The current state of Hawker township.
* Wilpena Pound (I had a great stay there once, and its agricultural history is what led to Goyder Line).
* Expensive Arkaroola, but the 4wd ridge exploration is an interesting commercial operation.
* various gorges along the eastern flanks of the southern Flinders Ranges.
* If you are in Port Augusta, the only pub which I haven't photographed is Hannahville Hotel: single storey, vaguely artdeco, in back streets around the back of the railway workshops.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
10 years 1 month ago #140525 by Bugly

Any thoughts or ideas from the regional brothers?
(pm or post)

Dave said "If yer come across Mabel down there, tell her Dad forgives her!" :-?

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 1 month ago #140526 by 180wannabe
"The Farm Shed" museum at Kadina is an absolute must. Enter through the tourist info centre on Moonta Rd, Kadina. Allow 2 hours to see it all. If you happen to visit on a wednesday or saturday morning, you will find a group of very approachable local blokes working in the workshop too.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140527 by lower yp sth aust
Well if you are going through Wilmington there a good selection of vehicles that could suit you :)

More
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #140528 by Bobsboy
See;

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1397655107

I saw what I did but din't get to most of the other places suggested.

I did drive the entire length of the R.M. Williams Highway though [B80], that was a pretty serendipitous experience.
It would make a stunning feature drive for international tourists, a cycle race or a few road rally sections.

The best meal along the way was @ the Chrystal Brook Hotel, asparagus stuffed chicken breast - to die for.
i]wuz th@ Mabel in thu kichin?[/i

Mount Remarkable really was and Red Hill really is.

But the most astonishing part of the journey was the south of Hawker bit.
What country.
Beautifully harsh and desolate, a place to be an oil painter,
a life time of study available there.

I didn't find my ute, but I wasn't looking very hard.

As for that junk yard in Wilmington. . . I recognised SOM red Valiant but was to shy to knock on the door next to the Toy Museum.
The ice coffee from acrost the road was very noice but. . .
(It really was Farmers Union or nothing.)
;D

cya,

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by Bobsboy.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #140529 by Acar DC7564
Gday Bob ,you should enjoy that trip and do stop in at Wilmington and check out his gear , that same bloke bought a 1929 Graham Paige sedan off me a couple of years ago and has probably nearly got her all done up by now . Ive just returned from a similar trip but mine was the extreme outer Goyders line , Mannahill to Arkaroola, Farina and back through Beltana ect . Rob

1950 White superpower WC18R&&1966 Autocar DC7564rhd&&1980 White Road Boss &&

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #140530 by plastic bertrand
beautiful country on the inland side of the flinders ranges albeit barron country. that being on the dry side of the Goyder Line. i live in Renmark Sa and travel through to the Goyder Line after a blanket rain across the state as i go digging for bottles at the old mine camps that riddle that country. if your coming through Renmark give me a call with a little warning 0450 369 545. cheers tim

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds