Skip to main content

Battery Tester

More
8 years 6 months ago #163318 by HeyCharger
Battery Tester was created by HeyCharger
I have a few 12v batteries around and I would like to be able to test them.
What tools are around these days to test the battery and NOT just the voltage?
Thanks.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163322 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Battery Tester
The best way is still with the old fashioned hydrometer. You can get a good idea voltage wise by fully charging the battery and cranking something over with it. If the voltage drops below 10 volts while cranking, the battery is on the way out.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163323 by paulc20
Replied by paulc20 on topic Battery Tester
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThe professional battery shop use (or should) professional grade carbon pile load testers like these Durst brand, aussie made, heavy duty, tests up to 500A

www.durst.com.au/Store/cart_detail.asp?group1=Load-Tester-Carry

i have been thinking of one of these 100A cheapy ebay specials for my use at home, under $30 delivered, tests at 100A

You can buy the same thing for nearly 3 times as much if you want a brand name on it:

Depending on your needs, something like this 700A tester out of the US looks pretty good.

What you are trying to do is put a load on the battery and see how the voltage holds up

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #163325 by swamprat
Replied by swamprat on topic Battery Tester
a lot of battery sellers electronic testers that don't load test the battery , good for selling new batteries , cant beat a good load tester , make sure you fully charge the battery & let it settle for a bit before you load test it

D1510 International 4wd 6BT cummins power steer
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by swamprat.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163330 by paulc20
Replied by paulc20 on topic Battery Tester
As Swamp rat sayas, load them up and see how they hold up!

Most of my batteries come off the scrap pallet at the local battery shop. The owner of the business is my mate and does the right thing by his customers, I can afford the time for a fail to start, not everyone can these days.

For example I purchased 4 new N70ZZ to start the 903 Cummins from them but use old batteries to start the 8V71 GM.

I use a very good N70ZZ to start my 23c Standard in a Fergy yet am very happy with an old battery off the scrap pallet to start my E27N Fordson.

The battery has to hold up a reasonable voltage for the time you need to start your vehicle. This doesn't mean they will hold up a campervan with fridge, tv, etc etc.

if you don't have any test gear, a very rough test (hillbilly, bogan etc), charge the battery, let it sit for a day, hook some jumper leads to the battery, then flash the + and - leads together if battery is ok you will get an decent 'crack' and spark. of course you will be wearing arc resistant clothing, eye protection etc. you put the battery in a car and turn on the headlights and see how quickly the voltage drops/ lights dim..

Basically, the battery need to supply enough current for your engine start, and enough capacity to hold up loads between engine starts and recharges.
A decent trickle charge connected to vehicle will prolong your battery life.

Paul

More
8 years 6 months ago #163334 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Battery Tester
There are some "intelligent" battery chargers on the market which claim to be able to revitalise partly degraded batteries.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
8 years 6 months ago #163335 by HeyCharger
Replied by HeyCharger on topic Battery Tester
I can get one of these for $155 (inc postage).
PROJECTA BLT200 12 V VOLT 500 AMP CARBON PILE LOAD BATTERY CHARGE TESTER CHECKER.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163337 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Battery Tester
We found a place here in Melbourne that sells supposedly reconditioned very cheap Like the name Born Again had one in the ute now for 3 years was only about $25

More
8 years 6 months ago #163411 by HeyCharger
Replied by HeyCharger on topic Battery Tester
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI would really like a Durst, but...
I settled for this;

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163452 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Battery Tester
I went to school with John and Roger Durst.

The business still runs and they still sell a lot of Aussie made equipment.

They're based in Glebe (inner Sydney suburb) and can be contacted on 9660 1755

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds