Skip to main content

New Regulation

More
3 years 1 month ago #220188 by mikeg
New Regulation was created by mikeg
A heads up to all owners of older vehicles.
A new regulation comes into force on 1/4/2021 which requires all vehicles on Australian roads to have an effective airbag system in place. This has received little publicity as most cars and trucks already comply with the regulation and only a much smaller number of older vehicles are affected.
The regulation has made one concession to owners of old vehicles by allowing them to dispense with side airbags, but they insist a central airbag must be in place. Some classic car enthusiasts have modified their vehicles by removing the original steering wheel and replacing it with one containing a built-in airbag. However, an Italian company, Pesce D'Aprile, has come up with a system that allows owners of vintage cars and trucks to retain the original steering wheel and still comply with the regulation.
In a conventional airbag arrangement, an accelerometer sends a signal to a sensor when it detects a collision force equal to striking a brick wall at approximately 10 ks per hour. The sensor immediately sends an impulse to the inflation device, where a small explosion mixes sodium azide (NaN3) with potassium nitrate (KNO3) and produces a large volume of nitrogen gas. This gas rapidly inflates the airbag, forming a cushion to protect the driver from injury. The Pesce D'Aprile system also requires an accelerometer and a sensor to be fitted to the vehicle, but they are quite unobtrusive. The big difference, however, is that the inflation device and the airbag are stored in a separate pack, instead of within the steering wheel. This pack is similar in size to a child’s back-pack and the driver wears it strapped to his chest. There is a small connector built into the pack and the driver attaches the cable from the sensor when he gets into the vehicle. Once hooked up, he can proceed in complete safety.
During the development of this system there were a few teething troubles. Some drivers suffered mild chest burns from the explosion when the inflation device activated but this small problem has been solved by fitting an asbestos shield between the explosive charge and the back of the pack. Also, there were some instances of the chemicals mixing accidentally and the airbag unintentionally deploying with the vehicle in motion. But the manufacturers now attach a small flick knife to the pack, so the driver may quickly deflate the bag in an emergency. The new system is now fully tested and about to go onto the market. The manufacturer is offering club members the chance to jump in quickly and purchase a pack at a special 25% discount.
To find out more and to place your order please visit their website: www. Airbag-aprilfool.com.au
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, tim, husky

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #220189 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic New Regulation
Good one . I notice the date.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by overnite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 1 month ago #220190 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic New Regulation
WotCanEyeSay

WotSezU?

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout

More
3 years 1 month ago #220194 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic New Regulation
I wonder if it is the First of April?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 1 month ago #220201 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic New Regulation
I read the same about Volvo.
They are going to concentrate on the Australian market. Saying they have a better and more robust product. Reckon there is more worth for the owners. Each model comes with a special tin hat for the owner to be worn when going down the Burwood hwy.

More
3 years 1 month ago #220203 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic New Regulation
I love a good bullshit story.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 1 month ago #220204 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic New Regulation

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 1 month ago #220205 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic New Regulation
If U Luv Bullsh

The BS starts here

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 1 month ago #220212 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic New Regulation
Volkswagen put out a news bulletin for 1/4/21 saying the name was changing to Voltswagen, inline with their push into the electric vehicle market. Share price plummeted like a lead balloon. An amended statement was hurriedly announced, stating it was only an April fools day stunt. Doubt it will be repeated anytime soon.

More
3 years 1 month ago #220217 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic New Regulation
Funniest thing I saw happen to VW when they got caught out cheating the anti pollution laws. Some very clever person on a puta put a VW emblem on a steam train choofing out a ton of thick black smoke, summed it up nicely.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.539 seconds