Skip to main content

Super Glue and Baking Soda

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #241363 by Lang
I have never had any success with superglue and never use it if I can find something else. I have had success with those tiny bottle kits of glue and white powder they sell at parts places for about a million dollars.

The secret is revealed. The $10 per teaspoon white powder is just baking soda.

Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, Inter-Action, Normanby, PaulFH, Pierre, roKWiz, Southbound

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #241396 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Super Glue and Baking Soda
Thats bloody awesome eh? I'll give it a try next time I've got that "impossible to repair" thing going on..

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #241408 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Super Glue and Baking Soda
We talk about price gauging in the fuel business. Nothing compared to the glue business.

Here is the magic glue kit. A miniscule bottle of Superglue and another miniscule bottle of "welding powder" $25

Here is the most famous brand Superglue by itself. 77 cents.

And would you believe I found a giant box of "welding powder" equal to 50 bottles of Rapid Fix for $2.77

In other words if I bought 50 packs of Rapid Fix it would cost me $1,250. If I went to Bunnings and Woolworths it would cost me $41.80.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mairjimmy, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
1 year 5 months ago #241412 by Mrsmackpaul

I have never had any success with superglue and never use it if I can find something else. I have had success with those tiny bottle kits of glue and white powder they sell at parts places for about a million dollars.

The secret is revealed. The $10 per teaspoon white powder is just baking soda.

This is amazing, has anyone on here tried this yet?

I'm a Mack man so rarely have the need for plastic :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :blink: :blink:

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 5 months ago #241455 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic Super Glue and Baking Soda
yeah. Been using Loctite 401 + carb soda for decades.

First started using it to build up guitar nuts for regrooving. Like magic!

Have patched holes in plastic windscreen washer bottles, radiator overflow bottles, fuel tanks on motor bikes, chainsaws etc etc.

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Morris, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, roKWiz, Tacho

More
1 year 5 months ago #241467 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Super Glue and Baking Soda
In winter I used to get painful cracks in my heels ,that would just get deeper and deeper ,and bleed.......someone told me to glue them up with super glue,and if took too long to set ,to put some bi carb on it......worked 100% ,and never had the problem since.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #241468 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Super Glue and Baking Soda
Just Super Glue,

What is the glue used in surgery?
What is surgical glue, and how is it used?

Surgical glue, 2-octyl cyanoacrylate (DERMABOND), is a polymer used for wound repair. It acts rapidly, polymerizing within 30 seconds at room air and is best for linear lacerations under low tension.

John just had a thought. Why don't you smear Super glue over your toes, sprinkle some power on and continue to wear your safety thongs?

More
1 year 5 months ago #241470 by Mrsmackpaul
When we were dairy farming and a cow stood on her teat and tore it we would just give it a quick clean, hold the seperated bits together and run the super glue down the teat, bung all the other cows on and stick the cow with torn teat on a machine last
They milk away fine and the glue slowly peels off as the teat heals

This was years before the medical world used it

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, asw120

More
1 year 5 months ago #241471 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Super Glue and Baking Soda
I was told many years ago it was used in Vietnam for gluing guys back together so they could be transported from the field to a hospital where the glue was removed by some other chemical that dissolved it.

Then they sewed them up the old fashioned way.

No idea if it was true?

More
1 year 5 months ago #241483 by Mrsmackpaul
I would expect something like that to be true Zuffen

Some dairy farmers had skin that reacted quite badly and cracked open on their hands from all the channel water

My neighbor would sit at the kitchen table with the super glue and run it down the cracks, the pain of the cracked skin was gone instantly
He first told me about glue on the teats

I was dubious at best,he was told by another old bloke that was into horses and a ear on foal got torn some how and some medical bloke told him to go try it, I think super glue was used by vets long before doctors used it

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds