Skip to main content

What an engine

More
10 months 1 day ago #246451 by Lang
What an engine was created by Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Inter-Action, Normanby, PaulFH, V8Ian, wee-allis, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 day ago #246453 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic What an engine
stunning.

What are the rules about driving vehicles in the US? You see so many clips of unregistered vehicles being driven. Is the driver insured but not the car? How does insurance work?
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
10 months 1 day ago #246454 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic What an engine
Jon

Varies from state to state.

In Texas for example you get a personal trailer number plate and can put it on anything just change plate over onto another trailer. Hot rods, historic and special vehicles are only certified for date.

In most states the roadworthy is pretty cursory and it just has to pass a smog test according to the rules in effect at the time of its manufacture. Anything built before the 70's will get a free ride, California and a few others are more stringent.

3rd party insurance is quite expensive - usually several hundred dollars, and you have to buy your own unlike here with universal compulsory. They look very darkly on no insurance and any time a cop pulls you up it is hand over licence and insurance. A stupid idea also like UK. With compulsory automatic with registration it means everybody is covered.

I drove for a year in California with no insurance because I could not get any without a US Social Security number. In later years in Texas I could get 3rd party as a foreigner so long as I had (even a post box) address,

When do you know there are too many Asian drivers on the road? The Mexicans start to buy insurance.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
10 months 1 day ago #246456 by Lang
Just had a message from an American friend who kinows this car.

Apparently overheated very quickly with radiator shroud on front hence the open front in later photos. It still would have still overheated particularly at town speed. To be usable they needed to fit a test club. This is a short high airflow prop used when testing aircraft engines on a stand after overhaul. They usually have to run them for 5 hours at various speed. It provides a light load insufficient to move an aircraft in flight but keeps things cool.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
10 months 1 day ago #246458 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic What an engine
I was thinking that with the size of the fuel tank in the back, it wouldn't. have gone far enough to overheat.

More
10 months 23 hours ago #246461 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic What an engine
I thought that held the parachute. B)

More
10 months 21 hours ago #246463 by Lang
They only use 13 US Gallons per hour (50 litres) at high cruise setting in an aircraft. The car would use nowhere near this - not much more than an older Landcruiser or F100. Air cooled engines of course use more fuel than water-cooled .

This simple video tells us why.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, wee-allis

More
10 months 19 hours ago #246473 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic What an engine
Thanks Lang, Just goes to show that one is never too old to be egamickated
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds