Skip to main content

A sort of Holden & GMH History

More
9 months 1 week ago #247271 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic A sort of Holden & GMH History
I think 3/4 of the blokes who had the "shaggin wagons" were all dressed up and nowhere to go.

Most of the stories were figments of their imagination and nobody but their mates ever slept in the back.

I now await the deluge of stories of 6 girls at one time in a panel van.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, wee-allis, lemmiwinks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 months 1 week ago #247273 by hayseed
It's alright, Lang.... !!

The Older We get, The better We used to Be..;)

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, wee-allis, lemmiwinks

More
9 months 1 week ago #247274 by jeffo
I remember when dad got his HQ GTS Monaro, first one in town, it came with a 45 EP record of blokes thrashing them around some proving ground.
Must have been heroes as that car as delivered was woefully set up. Gear stick miles away, pedals likewise and to top it off, no power steer. They had pretty big rubber for the day and combined with the small diameter steering wheel and close ratio steering box, Mum had no hope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, lemmiwinks

More
9 months 1 week ago #247275 by PaulFH
66 HR no heater or radio.
70 HG had a heater. ‘Radial Tuned Suspension’ was a big deal. Put decent tyres on and they handled good for a Holden.
Bloke in a Shepherds Wine tanker chased me down Mt Slide at 70 mph, able to just keep in front of him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

More
9 months 1 week ago #247276 by asw120

There was a Holden book given to all employees around 1970-71 era......my brother got one ,dont know if he still has it........Id imagine there would be a few on ebay at times.

I have one of these that my late pop gave me. He was a foreman and got in the shit for stopping the line to allow the picture of the millionth Holden to be taken. He is 2nd, or 3rd back in the right in the picture.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
9 months 1 week ago - 9 months 1 week ago #247278 by 77louie400

I think 3/4 of the blokes who had the "shaggin wagons" were all dressed up and nowhere to go.

Most of the stories were figments of their imagination and nobody but their mates ever slept in the back.

Lang

I think I might have done better with a Kawa 9, take a spare crash hat and watch from in front of the canteen all the girls had to walk past to go to the toilet
Last edit: 9 months 1 week ago by 77louie400.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
9 months 6 days ago #247283 by cobbadog
I have my treasured copy od She's a Beauty by ??? Jolliff. Some fabtastic info inside and all started from a bloke who wanted the paint code for the FX n FJ dash board. Back story on the first one built in Canada with a one piece wins=dscreen then the first 4 built and ran around Victoria.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
9 months 6 days ago #247286 by 180wannabe
Cobba, i'm certainly not meaning to "nit pick", but for the benefit of others here who may be keen to find a copy, i think perhaps the book you are referring to was written by Don Loffler. I think Don has published 5 or 6 books in that style/series now. Definitely all great books.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
9 months 5 days ago #247296 by cobbadog
Yep, 180 you are correct. Didn't mean to get the facts wrong, memory was never good and getting worse at times. But it is a bloody great book.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
9 months 5 days ago #247299 by Blackduck59

Lang
Not flaming and definitely no 6 at a time but the first car was a FB van, followed by a HR ute then a HR PV and the vans were very useful for some carnal fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds