Skip to main content

A legal question ??

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #26032 by atkipete
A legal question ?? was created by atkipete
What is the largest vehicle Length, width height GVM and GCM that can be driven on a car license? I thought I knew the rules here but not sure anymore ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 4 weeks ago - 14 years 4 weeks ago #26033 by
Replied by on topic Re: A legal question ??
G'day Pete,
I'll have a go.... You can drive anything with a GVM of less than 4.5 tonnes. With up to 12 seats (but not for reward unless you have a DC)..

I'm not sure about the length or height... I would image what ever is the legal maximum. I see some pretty long 4wd/Caravan combinations getting around that would need more skill to pilot than a Light-Rigid.

How did I go?

-Stu

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 4 weeks ago #26034 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: A legal question ??
Here U go

Try this on for size

LOL

Clik here for the VicRoads doodadd

Eye twaz fortun8 when I got my lie sense
it arrived in the Wheeties pakt

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #26035 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: A legal question ??
A bit like this old bloke I saw in Colac,

Hope Jake Brake doesnt get hold of that photo.
Now Stu has got the first bit right, 4.5 ton GVM and driver plus 11 but it gets right complicated with trailers and motor homes.

14 years 4 weeks ago - 14 years 4 weeks ago #26036 by
Pete - Here's the West Oz version of Swishys link .. and the limits and restrictions are supposed to be identical, Australia wide ..

4500kg maximum GVM .. A GCM that doesn't exceed the maximum, factory-rated GCM of the under-4500kg vehicle being driven .. and a 12.5M maximum overall length (currently, the nation-wide length limit for all rigids) ..

www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/yourlicence/1373.asp

Regarding towing, a C class licence entitles the holder to tow anything that is within the vehicles rated towing capacity of what they are driving.

I think the grey areas start when it comes to articulated (5th wheel) trailers. Here's the interesting part. A driver with a car licence (note - no experience needed to obtain a car licence .. ::) ) can hop straight into a light truck (2 tonner) .. which has a GVM of 4500kg .. 5 mins after sitting their driving licence test .. hook up a 5th wheel trailer (say, horse float) which might be another 4500kg .. and merrily drive off into the country, on a gravel road at 100kmh. If this isn't a recipe for disaster, I dunno what is.

What is probably even more important .. is that that same newly-licensed driver, can hook up a tail-heavy, 2

14 years 4 weeks ago #26037 by
Pete - P.S. .. that steering wheel attendant with the long hair, needs to get a haircut, and get a real job .. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #26038 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: A legal question ??
I agree with you about the big trailers on a car licence. If you haven't been tested on it how come you are allowed to drive it? I reckon the max GCM on a car licence would be around 12 ton but, as our long haired yobbo says, I do stand to be corrected. Max length might be 17.5, 2.5 width and 4.3 height //
Does anyone know the rules? :-/ :-/ :-/

14 years 4 weeks ago #26039 by
This article from the SA Dept of Transport says the max length for a 'light vehicle' with a trailer is 19m and the max width is 2.5 metres.

It's dated 2006, it may or may not be still relevant.

www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/personal_tr...htvehicle_towing.pdf

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #26040 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: A legal question ??
Pete I will get back to you in a coupla days...

but so far they boys are on the ball, width will be 2.5, I dont think there is a special height restriction other than same for all vehicles but there is a length maximum... need to have a look in company time....

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #26041 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: A legal question ??
ohh and there is a certain hair length standard for wheel attendants too, unless ribbons or hairbands are fitted.

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds