Skip to main content

A legal question ??

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #26042 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: A legal question ??
Will try to do something about that hair, not sure if a bun or ponytails would suit.
I understand from the Queensland Transport website that a "car" can be up to 4.5 GVM and pull a trailer up to 9 tonnes GVM ( no mention of GCM ). In theory GCM is then 13.5 but some of the trailer weight has to be carried by the "car" so i get the figure of 12 ton.
BUT I looked at the little Jap trucks rated at 4.5 ton and max GCM seems to be about 8 tonnes.
BUT if I am driving a "car" there is no requirement to stop at the bridge of sighs, or is there ?? :-? :-? :-?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 4 weeks ago - 14 years 4 weeks ago #26043 by
Replied by on topic Re: A legal question ??
Pete - I've never seen a vehicle with a 4500kg GVM, rated with a GCM of 9 tonnes. This isn't America, where they load up their gooseneck 5th wheelers behind their Chevy Duramax's or F250's, with 10 or 12 tonnes; our authorities go looking for manufacturers rated GCM, and make you abide by it, at all times.

All the vehicles up to 4500kg GVM would be rated at a maximum of about 8 or 9 tonnes GCM.
What the trailer can gross out at, becomes irrelevant, and over-ridden by the GCM of the towing vehicle .. regardless of whether it's a bumper hitch or a 5th wheel setup.
If you have a trailer capable of 9 tonnes GVM, that trailer will be limited to 4.5 tonnes GVM, if that's all the towing vehicle is rated at.

The motorhome question is simple. If your motorhome weighs over 4500kg, you need a truck licence to drive it. If you want to drag a trailer behind your motorhome, you're limited to 19M, the national limit for any articulated setup .. regardless of whether it's a semi, or a car and bumper-hitch trailer. The weight of the trailer and motorhome combined, can't exceed the rated GCM of the motorhome chassis.

Re the "bridge of sighs" .. they aren't interested in anything under 3 or 4 tonne truck size.
I hauled oversize fibreglass tanks from Adelaide to Kalgoorlie some years back, using my 3 tonne E series Bedford, and dragging a 10M triaxle trailer.
I was 3.5M high and 3.5M wide, and the tanks were exceptionally heavy mining treatment plant tanks. I was grossing right on the Bedfords maximum GCM, just over 11 tonnes. The bridge of sighs blokes weren't even remotely interested. I pulled into the first one on the trip, and the bloke just waved me on. From then on, I just drove past them, and they never even gave me a second look .. 8-)

14 years 3 weeks ago #26044 by
You know why the old bloke wears long sleeves overalls it's because he doesnt want us to see his tats of .......??? . Dave :-X :-X

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26045 by Rusty Engines

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26046 by atkipete
The law on what is a "car" seems straightforward, it is adding a trailer that makes it downright stupid.
Eg you need a truck licence and log book to drive a 6ton GVM flat top but not a 60' long combination weighing 10 ton.

14 years 3 weeks ago #26047 by
Atki

You dont need a log book until 12 Tonne.

Trevor

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26048 by atkipete
Yes I have forgotten that.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26049 by cribotow
Replied by cribotow on topic Re: A legal question ??
However you could get a multi combination licence quicker than this subject will end ;D

&&Grasp

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26050 by atkipete
Well I have got a HC one, but cant understand why there is not some sensible limits on what can be towed by a "car".

Time to create page: 0.509 seconds