Skip to main content

Indian Ocean Drive completed - W.A.

• Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #36260 by
G'day all - This is just an advisory post, to inform all travellers .. that the last section of the Indian Ocean Drive, between Lancelin and Cervantes, in W.A., has been completed.

This marks the completion of the coastal Indian Ocean Drive .. which commences from Lancelin, and which runs right along the Indian Ocean coast .. from Lancelin, to just South of Dongara.

This road links all the coastal communities from Lancelin to Dongara, with a direct coastal road link. Formerly all the communities along the coast had no direct link, and the Brand Hwy was the only major North-South road between Perth and Dongara.

This road is not designed to replace the Brand Hwy as a major route (although it does cut about 15 kms off the route from Perth to Dongara).
The Brand Hwy remains the major haulage route, with a heavy road train population, including triples.
There has been much complaint from tourists with caravans about the Brand Hwy, where the mix of triples, caravans, and an inadequate amount of overtaking lanes, has created much frustration.

Indian Ocean Drive is designed to link the coastal communities along the Indian Ocean coast, and provide a scenic, tourist/caravanner route, with a far lesser amount of heavy traffic, as compared to the Brand Hwy.
I'll try it out soon, and post some pics. It promises to be a good drive, if you aren't in a tearing hurry to get to Dongara or Geraldton.

MRDWA advice .. www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/BUILDINGROADS/PR...TS/Pages/indian.aspx

Map .. www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/_layouts/getAsse...REV=1&RCN=D10#218580

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #36261 by Assessor
Looks like a real nice drive onetrack !!!

More
13 years 6 months ago #36262 by Andy Wright
Wow, had no idea they were doing this. Would make a good run. The scenery will be impressive although I used to enjoy the Brand (or any road for that matter) so I'm pretty easy to please.

Look forward to your report, Juan.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds