Skip to main content

Tire width

More
13 years 6 months ago #37273 by Freighttrain
Tire width was created by Freighttrain
Quicky question.I have a GMC general sitting on very rotten 10.00x20 tires and Dayton wobble wheels.I was wondering if there would be any issues to putting 9.00x20s on the same wheels or if it might be possible to put narrow daytons on there with 9.00x20 tires?REason being,10.00x20s are not very popular anymore for stear and drive tires but 9.00x20s are available like crazy due to school bus use.I could just swap over to 22.5" wheels and tires but I like the looks of tube type split ring rims.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #37274 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Tire width
id doubt that putting 900 tyres on would be any problem . . here in OZ 10.00-20" r also getting hard to get .. but we are covered well by cheap (and good) chinese imports

More
13 years 6 months ago #37275 by Freighttrain
Replied by Freighttrain on topic Re: Tire width
Thanks.The truck is just a big toy and won't see any real use.Most of the time it will bobtail or maybe haul an empty trailer just for giggles.There will be the occasional haul to a show.The primary reason I got the truck was to use it to haul my US military trucks to shows so 16,000lbs if I take my single truck with box in bed or maybe 30K if I take a pair of trucks and the box.Light load for the truck.I would guess50-60K GVW max weight so I will be good for weight I hope.

More
13 years 6 months ago #37276 by kennymopar2
the weight should be ok .. our semis with just a single trailer average out at 42.500kgs . .thats about 100.000lbs. . . also worth mentioning some of our cowboys top out at close to 100mp/h . . they seem to average a steady 70mph

More
13 years 6 months ago #37277 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: Tire width
Going down to 9.00s means you would lose a couple of mph from you cruising speed. ie need more revs to do the same speed because the circumference of the tire is smaller.

Dennis

More
13 years 6 months ago #37278 by kennymopar2
as a rough guide going up or down a tyre size is about 5 - 6 kmh difference

More
13 years 5 months ago #37279 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Tire width
You can fit 9.00R20 to 8.25 rims but they would sit better on 7.5 rims, and give the taller, more vintage, look that you are seeking

Time to create page: 0.448 seconds