Skip to main content

Late 60's bonneted MAN photos

More
13 years 5 months ago #37696 by oldbugger
Has anyone got any photos of late 60's early 70's bonneted MAN cab interiors with the 6 speed and split pogo stick gear lever, like I drove interstate for a short time. thanks in anticipation

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #37697 by Tacho
G'day OB, I can't help you with photos but do have a contact which may be useful. On our last sticky beak tour to Alawoona we called on Barry Manz 08)85874334 and saw this MAN cab, as well as a bonnet and I am sure he has other bits as he has a soft spot for them. Also a great bloke to deal with and very much from the old school in knowledge and experience. Not sure if this one is in the era you are looking at.
Cheers Geoff

More
13 years 5 months ago #37698 by oldbugger
Thanks Geoff for the reply, the one I drove was this one owned by Des R Foster 407 Princes Highway, St Peters,Sydney, here its between Miles and Goondiwindi, Qld, I don't have many photos of it and this ones poor, I do not have any photos of the interior particularly the dash and gear lever

More
13 years 5 months ago #37699 by hoarder1
Hi OB,
Just wondering if you can remember what year that picture was taken. When did the bitumen go down on the Miles to Goondi road?

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb

More
13 years 5 months ago #37700 by oldbugger
It was 1972, tongue and groove from Yuleba for Sydney

More
13 years 5 months ago #37701 by bigcam
Cypress pine? I remember reading in Ray Gillelands "My way or the highway" about him backloading from around there. Good book if you havn't read it.

More
13 years 5 months ago #37702 by Nev
Is that a NC 650? A mate's had one given to him but we cann't work out the proper shift sequance.
Is the gearstick mounted button a splitter or a range-change? Clutch doesn't work so it's jam it and see!

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #37703 by oldbugger
I can't remember the model number possibly 690, the gear lever had the word GANG at the top with marked 6 speed and reverse, reverse being at the bottom. Neutral was up and down, first was down and forward second keep down and back, third push into neutral and the lever sprang up then forward, fourth straight back, fifth was into neutral then lift and forward, sixth was keep up and backward, reverse was neutral then push the lever down past 1 and 2 then snick it backwards. all moves are forward and backward. There was a 2 speed splitter mounted on the front of the lever, needing half clutch for activation. I have just found a photo of a lever, this is one from a different left hand drive model there is no splitter
P.S. my truck had an ash tray like the one in the middle of the dash, but it was on the drivers door.

Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by oldbugger.

More
13 years 5 months ago #37704 by mike garrett
So you mean lever didn't move side to side across the gate for neutral, just backwards and forwards like a handbrake lever? I'll go have a other beer and read it again. :-? :-?

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #37705 by oldbugger
If you look at the gear lever in the above photo hold it with you thumb uppermost you will feel undulations underneath to the front for your fingers, the lever moves up and down for the gate not side to side like a normal gate. Is that clearer. Obviously you will use your left hand. Did you enjoy the beer
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by oldbugger.

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds