Skip to main content

what is the best oil for layland 680 ???

More
13 years 4 months ago #40946 by 74 leyland
Hi all i know sae 30 is for 680's but is a multi better for australian summer Eg:10w40 or 20w50.??????????? Cheers Craig.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #40947 by ray
G'day Craig,
I have tried a few different brands in our 1963 Leyland Royal Tiger. I finally settled on Fuchs Titan 15w40. The engine maintains good oil pressure and for some reason does not use as much between oil changes......Ray
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by ray.

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #40948 by
Multigrade oils contain serious amounts of synthetic additives called long-chain polymers .. up to 30% by volume. These are also known as viscosity index improvers (VII's).

These long chain polymers can best be visualised as long curly chains of molecules, that have the curious ability to lengthen when cold, and tighten up when hot.
This ability makes their fluid viscosity, thicker when hot, and thinner when cold.

This is the opposite of oil's viscosity, which is thick when cold, and very thin, when hot.
When oil gets cold and thick, its ability to penetrate into bearing surfaces is reduced, as well as its ability to be pumped.

When oil gets really hot, it gets so thin, that it can't lubricate properly. The coating of oil on wearing surfaces gets so thin, that metal-to-metal contact starts, and you have bearing seizure or galling.

The argument used against VII's and multi-grade oils, is that VII's are not lubricants in themselves, and that by occupying 30% of the oil volume, that is 30% less oil to do the lubricating.

However, the fact that the VII's enable the oil to stay thick when hot, and to thin out when cold, enables the oil to do its job much more effectively. Thus, less oil is needed.

Multigrade oils work just fine as a replacement for single grade, 30 weight oil. However, the thing to be careful of, is that many modern oils have a substantially increased level of detergents.

These high detergent levels are necessary for modern, emission control engines, because pollutants that go out the exhaust of older engines, are being forced down past the rings, and into the oil, of the emission-control engines.
However, in old engines, there are beneficial build-ups of carbon on pistons, rings and seals, that assists with compression sealing, and oil retention, both in cylinder bores and behind oil seals.

The sudden introduction of a new brand of high-detergent oil, will often strip this beneficial carbon from old engines, and they will often commence to lose power, burn oil, and leak oil.

Thus, you are well advised to ensure that the oil you buy, meets the API recommended service classification for your engine.
The API classification letters start with an "S" for petrol engines, and with a "C" for diesels.

These API classifications are upgraded to new classifications every few years. In general, the new API classification is "backwards" compatible with the older classifications.

However, since about the early 2000's, the newer API classifications aren't recommended for older engines, due to substantially increased levels of detergents, and reduced levels of the anti-wear additive, zinc dithiophosphate (ZDDP).

The ZDDP is removed from current emission-control engine oil, because the zinc compounds can wreck catalytic converters. However, ZDDP is needed in older engines for camshaft lobe and lifter lubrication, where severe sliding pressure is applied.
Many new emission-control engines have roller lifters, so the ZDDP isn't needed.

Always make sure that the oil you buy is compatible with the API service classification, that was in use when your vehicle was new.

www.aa1car.com/library/API_ratings.pdf

More
13 years 4 months ago #40949 by Bugly
I have switched to Penrite oils, as they seem to have a good range of oils targeted for classic vehicles. Have a look at at www.penrite.com.au

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
13 years 4 months ago #40950 by Eddy
? ... Layland ??

:-?

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

13 years 4 months ago #40951 by
Maybe he's got the horizontal 680? .. the LAY-down Leyland engine?? .. ;D

Good to see that the speling perlice are on the job! .. ;D ;D

More
13 years 4 months ago #40952 by kennymopar2
really just about any GOOD brand name diesel oil will do around the 15w/40 mark.. i do have a preference myself for aussie made nulon products i have to admit

More
13 years 4 months ago #40953 by Fuller-Vit
The old 680 power plus will even run on knights oil ;D ;D ;D

In the beginning God created Seddon and ERF

More
13 years 4 months ago #40954 by cemeNTepede
Wait for it............... ;D

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

More
13 years 4 months ago #40955 by 74 leyland
Thank's all for your comments i ended up putt'in mono 30 in the old LEYLAND got the spelling rite now ;D ;D
i will see how it goes and yes it is laying on it's side in a 74 bus
my spelling not that good only a truck driver :'(

Time to create page: 0.533 seconds