Skip to main content

Snowy Mountains Highway or Alpine Way

More
13 years 1 month ago #47888 by Roderick Smith
The line was closed about 30 years ago. Most or all is a bike/walking train. However, for much of the time it is not alongside the main road; you have to know where to turn in.
Tallangatta: the station yard and an overline bridge are quite visible, and you might want to call in to sample the two hotels built in the 1950s for the town relocation.
On the climb to Koetong, the railway crossed the road in two places, but only one is obvious (road over rail bridge).
Koetong pub: nice character.
There is a posted trail into a place where one of the wooden bridges is preserved. Trail users have to walk out to the highway, then walk back in on the other side of the watercourse.
The rail then runs well away from the road, but the Cudgewa road gets better views, and Cudgewa has a nice hotel.

Much further on, if sticking to Alpine Way, turning into Tom Groggin Homestead gives a view of the most-upstream bridges over Murray River: a low level road bridge crossing to the locked gate, and a higher pedestrian bridge, providing a link when the road one is underwater.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #47889 by cobba
Where are you actually going to Pete. I am gathering it is further on than Cooma.

Go up one way and come back the other.
I personally like going up the Thredbo Road rather than down, but I am thinking motorbike when I say that.

The trip back over brown Mountain is an interesting look (as long as it's not raining and full of slow moving vehicles) and some history to be seen around Adaminaby and Kiandra.
6 of one and half a dozen of the other once you get past Kiandra as to weather you go down Elliots way or thru Cabramurra and back to Corryong.
All interesting country with lots to see.

More
13 years 1 month ago #47890 by atkipete
Going from Melbourne to Canberra with a bit of time up my sleeve and returning in one day ie via Hume freeway.

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #47891 by Lang
Pete,

I have done almost every route through there and my pick is the Barry Way. You get a great feeling of remoteness plus spectacular views and hidden small settlements. There is a bit of dirt but I did it two months ago in an MGB and didn't touch the bottom once.

Lang

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds