Skip to main content

Confusion over regulations

More
15 years 5 months ago #6122 by HeyCharger
Ok guys, I admit it, I've got NFI. ;)
I drive my B61 prime mover (weight 7t) on historic plates to shows, events etc.
Do I need a log book (Yes, I do have one) or a NEW diary?
Do I have to pull into the RTA weigh/inspection stations?
This all seems to be a bit of a grey area and the RTA website is no help. :-[
Thanks. Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 5 months ago #6123 by Swishy
RodMan
GuddayM8

A:

Ina word
DUNNO

Best ring RTA
get the jokers name for future reference
ask all the Q:

Better still write to RTA
n Ask Q:
TH@ way U will have it in writing for future reference when pulled over by MR Officer
Also keep a copy jist incase they don't return xhibit 'A'

Also keep in mind
it's not the Q: U ask
it's how U ask it

nuther words rephraze the Q:
till u get the A: U lookn 4

ButEyeDo..................................

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

15 years 5 months ago #6124 by
Replied by on topic Re: Confusion over regulations
I'll second Swishy on what he's written, it's excellent advice.

Just make sure you DO get the answer in writing, you keep the original stashed away and only ever hand over the copied one.

regards greenie

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #6125 by bparo
We (the HCVC) have asked the AOMC (Association of Motoring Clubs) to chase it up so we get a ruling consistent for all historic vehicles affected (otherwise Vicroads have been known to give different answers to different people depending who answered the letter. Our letter was acknowledged by the AOMC and the question has been asked of Vicroads but they have not replied yet.

If you look in the green or blue book that govern the use of "Club Permit" vehicles (ie the red historic plates) it states no log book is required for vehicles operating under that scheme as it is not legal to use them for commercial purposes (ie carry stuff to make money) on them so they are effectively a private vehicle (just like a car).

If your truck is on normal registration then from a Vicroad point of view it is not a historic vehicle but a commercial vehicle and the normal log book rules apply.

Please note the fatigue regulations changed after the "Club Permit Scheme" books were reissued hence the qusitionto Vicroads to clarify the matter.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by bparo.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 5 months ago #6126 by Swishy
Me thinks we R all missin the point

LogBooks were to restrain truck drivers from doin idiotic hours Bhind the wheel with out rest

:-?

We have all seen on the TV News where by a person in a car have fallen asleep through fatigue n caused all sortz of mayhem

So Mr thinks this will B the jist the start of fatigue management

!st they'll enforce Faitgue management on proffesional Drivers to start
then it could also rope in Taxi, ambulance, fire fighters, herses,plumbers, builders n any body th@ earns a crust from sum part of driveing May B even RTA Officerz n cops etc
then it will B required for all th@ have a liecence to drive on the roads

Nuther Werdz
any body Bhind the steersmanz wheel is capable of driving recklessly through fatigue n cause a disaster

ButEyeDo......................

Q: why do truckdrivers need 0% BAC when politians do not as they make all the decisions for us all to abide by

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 5 months ago #6127 by kennymopar2
Rod going by the current rules you can use your old style log book till 18th dec ..after that you need a new "work diary" ..im sure the trucks GVM or GCM is over the 12 ton limit ..also most RTA inspection stations require you to drive in when your vehicle has a GVM over 8 ton (the inspection station at willow tree near Tamworth only needs you to be over 4.5 ton gvm)

More
15 years 5 months ago #6128 by atkipete
Interested to hear about that new work diary business, if I didnt tune in to the HCVC forum I would never hear about these things. I dont know why Vicroads dont let truck drivers know about their latest hair brained schemes.
Good point about the politicians getting breath tested. I dont mind turning up to work sober, it is a basic duty to your employer. As we all employ these Politicians I dont think it is unreasonable to expect the same of them.

More
15 years 5 months ago #6129 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic Re: Confusion over regulations
Found another forum about the same time as I found this'n.

Not yet found the answer to this Q but, ferret around ... it should be there somewhere.

www.ozprodrivers.com.au/e107_plugins/forum/forum.php

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #6130 by bparo
I always wonder why it is that it is ok for people who are not drivers but storesman, shop staff, office workers etc to work 8-10 hours under pressure then finisg work, get into a car and drive through the night to Sydney or Adelaide without a break to be there first thing in the morning or to the snow where the trickies part is the last portion of a 5 hour drive. This happens every Christmas and Easter as well as other long weekends. No wonder the tow tucks are so busy at those times.

I think there is some need to help protect the truck drivers safety but how about booking that keep trying to squeeze the time out of the travel (eg schedules, the big customers and warehouses). There is no allowances for roadworks, traffic problems, delays in loading etc when the schedules are set then the drivers are expected to make it up on the road by skipping their rest breaks etc.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by bparo.

More
15 years 5 months ago #6131 by Sarge
Log Books.... from the Vicroads site

The laws apply to both trucks and buses, they apply to a truck with a GVM over 12 tonnes or a combination if the totla is over 12 t GVM. They apply to a bus with more than 12 seats including the driver. The laws do not cover plant equipment (machines or implements) or a motor home.
Who must carry a work diary
[ch56256][ch56451] Drivers operating outside the 100km radius (from home/base)[/color][/color]

and in would seem you are exempt if
Continuation of pre-existing exemptions

How ever as I plough may way through more of their crap, there seems to be a contradictory statement about the 100 k radius.

I dont recomend the Phone Call to vic roads, It took me over an hour the other week to be advised that I needed to write a letter to the Director at Vic Roads to get permission to register my truck... the reply will take 3 to 4 weeks. (No compliance plate and their crappy record system did not have the old rego).... I ignored all that and popped along to Maryborough, told them what I wanted, made an appointment for a day later.... all good.

I will see if one of MY local experts can give us a ruling.

Personally having given it some thought, I think a vehicle on club plates should require a log book when you consider some of the journeys being undertaken, the vehicle and risk is the same as the bloke overtaking you in a newer truck and perhaps a lighter load doing exactly the same trip.. Melb to Dubbo/Adelaide/Mount Gambier, Perth to Melb etc etc.
They only cost I think $15.00 but if you dont fill them out it is around $600. The old ones are still acceptable.

Good Luck

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds