Skip to main content

Longer B doubles

More
10 years 9 months ago #123891 by dodgemetal
Replied by dodgemetal on topic Re: Longer B doubles
cheers bigcam, i thought they where just trying to run under the radar with the long vehicle signs lol. Half the truck setups i see out at work are running triples now, mostly 2 A's and a B, still see a couple of 40ft trailer triples but dont think the cops like em lol.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123892 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Longer B doubles
with these bigger trucks pulling 2 40 foot containers wont that just push the price down for operators by making less work for the same amount of containers or am I just a bit thick because to me the only time I make any money farming is when there is a shortage of what ever Im trying to farm so I would have thought the same for trucks or any other business supply and demand thing but I could be wrong and proberly am again wotsayyouall
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
10 years 9 months ago #123893 by Dodge fan
Replied by Dodge fan on topic Re: Longer B doubles

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Behind the wheel of Melbourne's new 'gentle giant'.
August 14, 2013 Melbourne 'Age'.
Laws were passed in state parliament in April allowing 30-metre B-doubles on some Melbourne roads, and 36-metre B-triples on major country highways.
Aboard the biggest truck on the road.
New super trucks ranging up from 30 metres are now travelling amongst Victorian motorists. Come on board to hear a trucking company boss explain why there "shouldn't be a problem sharing the road".
Scott Wettenhall could not be more chuffed to be sitting in the cabin of his brand new, super B-double truck, so factory fresh its wheel rims still sparkle in the winter sun.
He admits the truck is bigger than anything Melbourne motorists currently share the road with, but won't cop the term "monster truck".
"They're not monster trucks, they're big, gentle giants," Mr Wettenhall says.
The truck has state-of-the-art braking, a 90 km/h speed limit and GPS tracking to ensure that it sticks to permitted routes.
"These trucks are safer than anything we've ever purchased in the past," says Mr Wettenhall, who runs his family's business, Wettenhall Logistics.
Wednesday was the first day his company had driven its two new 30-metre machines on Melbourne's freeways and tollways, after years of industry lobbying to convince the government to allow them on the road.
It means they can transport two 12-metre shipping containers in one run, whereas previously, truck lengths were limited to 26 metres and they could shift only one container. This was hurting his business.
"The world is running on 12-metre containers and we were starting to become really inefficient because we couldn't carry two," he says.
"We'll be able to stay in the game now. In 2 years, if you weren't able to do this you were going to go out the door backwards."
Fairfax Media took a ride in one of the company's new trucks on Wednesday, on its maiden run from the Port of Melbourne, along the Monash Freeway and EastLink to company headquarters in Dandenong.
The ride was entirely incident free.
"This truck we're travelling in today, I haven't noticed anyone looking at me any differently, the traffic hasn't changed because I'm 4 metres longer," he says.
Laws were passed in state parliament in April allowing 30-metre B-doubles on some Melbourne roads, and 36-metre B-triples on major country highways. It took until this month for Wettenhall Logistics to get its permits.
Mr Wettenhall is certain these longer trucks will soon begin to populate the roads, because they move freight so much more efficiently.
It is for this reason that the state government changed its policy, despite both Premier Denis Napthine and Transport Minister Terry Mulder having attacked when in opposition the former Labor government for attempting to do the same.

Playing around at Dodge City
Dodge AT4-760&&FB Holden Ute

More
10 years 9 months ago #123894 by Raggsie
Replied by Raggsie on topic Re: Longer B doubles
I seem to recall these things running around the Port for many years (trial ?) use to run from Port to Rail.
If the media said nothing ("monster trucks") they wouldn`t rate a second glance.
We had a similar scare campaign in the Western District when Quad axle B doubles were introduced in these parts.
Been running here for some time and haven`t spotted a "carnage" headline yet.
Rags

1956 International AR160&&196? International A414&&1988 Ford F250&&1982 FORD

More
10 years 9 months ago #123895 by HEOFTHEHUM
Replied by HEOFTHEHUM on topic Re: Longer B doubles
Ive driven the "pocket roadtrains" or"PBS" approved vehicles, or LONG VEHICLES or whatever you want to call them down to the port. Theyre right on top off you especially your speed, you have to be on top off it ALL the time, youve got to watch it off the hill etc, or youll get a breach.
I got breached 28 times between Oakey and Toowoomba for in excess off 125KMS, I was bob tail and theyd just gone up from 275 tires to 11rs.
Nobody bothered to advise them that the truck was going to Kenworth for a speedo calibration.It was limited to 95ks.
I thought they were going to lock me up with the chocolate key.
And I know for a fact that theyve had the police at the port to book drivers.
HUM is well behaved and wears the stainless steel halo.
So in QLD theyre right on top of you, and Im quessing Vic will be worse. :D

Time to create page: 0.431 seconds