Skip to main content

Western Star brakes poor after break-in

More
10 years 8 months ago #125563 by Debo

Debo, I too, have heard whisperings that it's illegal to work on brakes, unless your qualified to do so.

Now you state this as a "definate fact", so where, or, what legislation, be it state or federal, has been passed to cover this, please supply a link to that legislation showing this ?

What are the penalties, for anybody who does happen to adjust the brakes, to make the truck safer for ALL road users ?

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

Sorry Greenie I can't provide you with any evidence :-[
But like most people when I'm told something by someone and I have no doubt it's true I remember it ;)
As a qualified mechanic it makes a lot of sense in todays world for it to be true and as I always say it's ok when things are ok but what about when things go wrong? ::)
One of our trucks was involved in a fatality :-[ in about 1998 and at the scene I was asked who did the maintenance etc and never thought much about it but later on I found out that the investigators had been to the truck dealership and the place that worked on our tankers looking for anything they could but as we only did things properly they found nothing.
I still wonder what would have happened if the maintenance was left to people that weren't "qualified" like the drivers or joe blogs at his back shed, I'm sure that there are plenty of people who can adjust brakes correctly but i'd hate to be in a court room trying to prove it if I didn't have a "bit of paper" to prove it.
Not trying to be a know all, just trying to help.
regards Debo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #125564 by waynestr
Our trucks are not allowed into construction sites unless the maintenance records are in the cab showing the workshop licence number and the mechanics number, the date of the last service, Kms at last service and date or Kms for next service.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by waynestr.

More
10 years 8 months ago #125565 by Raggsie
Have replaced plenty of Gunite slack adjusters over the years, not singling them out as others fail as well.
It might be noted that they are meant to be self adjusting but do fail from time to time and consequently were always checked at service time no matter what brand self adjusting or not.
As far as being illegal for non qualified people to adjust them I thought that was a NSW thing.
Have run workshops in the past and nobody ever asked to see my qualifications, probably just as well as I don`t have any.
Any how I hope you get it sorted and get a lead on said thieves.
Rags

1956 International AR160&&196? International A414&&1988 Ford F250&&1982 FORD

More
10 years 8 months ago #125566 by Trackhappy
Update:
Bro has had his Guy look her over and adjusted the brakes and determined that the right rear is faulty and it might be the S-cam or the adjuster itself and the wheel has to come off to check.
What a surprise.

Sunshine Coast&&Queensland

Time to create page: 0.377 seconds