Skip to main content

Dont they have rear vision mirrors in Sydney?

More
10 years 6 months ago #130991 by oldfulla

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #130992 by hayseed
Oldfulla mate; (No Offence Intended) But, We've already given this subject a GOOD workout...........

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1384432190

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
10 years 6 months ago #130993 by Wilweld
Different topic, but concerning mirror use or lack thereof...

Travelling through Campbelltown a couple of months back, nearly got the side taken out of the ute for me. 5 tonne tipper with a big toolbox between the body and the cab, drivers side toolbox door swinging in the breeze. It would swing shut when moving and open when he braked. Stuck next to or near him in traffic for about 3 sets of lights and he never noticed.

:-? :o :( >:(

Grant.

'79 F100- 302c 4spd&&'81 F350- Isuzu 6BB1&&Chamberlain Industrial MK11  (6G)

More
10 years 6 months ago #130994 by olddon
sounds like a council truck.

More
10 years 6 months ago #130995 by oldfulla
Well seeing I started this topic in error - may be it can be changed to suit the heading - bout use (lack of) of rear view mirrors!.

Back in the late 1970's I was heading off south with the family on board for an annual get away.

After doing the stop and hard right on the hwy on the outskirts of Bowen - I spotted the outline of a tanker ahead, with (then) an unknown substance appearing to be leaking from the rear.

My initial thought was a cement tanker with a tap open - because this 'substance' was falling - hitting the tar - and sort of bouncing into a spray. Ending in a haze like smoke.

I caught him up, and discovered it was a 'gas' leaking - something heavier than air - becasue of the way it was falling. Nitrogen?? - something like that anyway.

After following for a short way I realised there was 2 types of 'smoke' being trailed. Then a few sparkes from the LH axle set. A bit of a look down the LH side showed some flame mixed in there too.

So I decided to round him up and try to advise the drover of his plight. On the way past it was obvious that the RH wheels on the centre axle of the tri were leaning in at the top. Clearly a result of what ever it was that was emmiting the flames & sparks on the LH side. That also explained all the fresh chunks of rubbler I had been dodging on the road for the past 30 odd mile.

Anyway - after many hand signals, and a lot of shouting it was obvious that he seemed to know better and indicated in no uncertian terms that my advice wasnt required.

So it was time to get fair dinkim - I took the risk and shouldered this big KW off the road with my trusty XP Falcon sedan. Then slowly braked him into a stop.

He dismounted full of fire - critising my actions along with explaining he KNEW his tank was leaking - and was trying to make it to Mackay before he lost the lot. AND that my actions were costing him valuable time.

I tried to explain that he had more trouble than he thought - that his outfit was on fire. BS was the response - only the gas leaking.

Time for another trick. Maattee - have a look at the angle of the RH tryes on the middle axle of your trailer! That is because there are no tyres left to hold up the other side. AND the remenants of those tyres are on FIRE.

That sort of got his attention enough for him to walk around the front of the KW and have a gander down the LHS.

We proceeded to have a closer look - to find - both tyres on the centre axle gone, along with a very flat inside tyre on the lead axle - to a stage of where it was about to flame up as well.

I left him at that point - with a remark of - "dont think you will have much gas left for Mackay after you fix this mess". As I walked back along the truck I couldnt help having a chuckle when I noticed he only had 1 spare on the rack. OH - I didnt get a 'thanks' either.

My whole point being - how didnt this drover see any of this in his mirrors???

For anyone on the group from up this end of the country - I'll let you guess which outfit this was? Late 1970's, big green & white trucks - with a mob of tankers and friges!!

Oldfulla

More
10 years 6 months ago #130996 by dieseldog
Oldfulla, that sounds about right for up here, although it is usually a miners vehicle with a tool box door flapping in the breeze. If you find 1 spanner on the side of the road you can usually find the rest.

I think that art of driving is slowly being lost, with cars being more advanced with blind spot sensors and collision avoidance systems, people are becoming complacent. I'm only young, but already I can see the decline in attitude and skills of our learner drivers. But then again, I do believe there are those who can actually drive a vehicle, and then there's those who just steer it.

More
10 years 6 months ago #130997 by hayseed

For anyone on the group from up this end of the country - I'll let you guess which outfit this was? Late 1970's, big green & white trucks - with a mob of tankers and friges!!

Oldfulla

Oldfulla, I'm from Way down south of you,

But will have a WAG.... Norgate :-/

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
10 years 6 months ago #130998 by oldfulla
Hayseed

Youre the winner. Got it in one. I could tell you some more 'alarming' stories about them in their day.

One of the more savory ones was when their head mechanic and his off sider attended a Cummins course I was at.

Like all of those sort of gigs - from get go until smoko is spent telling stories. The Norgate guys held the floor - how they got more power out of sush and such a motor by doing such & such. Old 1c or was it 2c coins got a mention etc.

Came time to get down to the job at hand after smoko - and I remarked to the Instructer that he might be going to have a problem with these know-alls.

You watch this he replied. 1st question of the day - how do you 'time' an 855 series fuel pump? You guessed it - from the know-alls - firstly wind the motor over until the engine is on No1 TDC!!!

Funny thing - The Norgate crew didnt come back after the lunch break.

Oldfulla

More
10 years 6 months ago #130999 by bigcam

Hayseed

Youre the winner. Got it in one. I could tell you some more 'alarming' stories about them in their day.

One of the more savory ones was when their head mechanic and his off sider attended a Cummins course I was at.

Like all of those sort of gigs - from get go until smoko is spent telling stories. The Norgate guys held the floor - how they got more power out of sush and such a motor by doing such & such. Old 1c or was it 2c coins got a mention etc.

Came time to get down to the job at hand after smoko - and I remarked to the Instructer that he might be going to have a problem with these know-alls.

You watch this he replied. 1st question of the day - how do you 'time' an 855 series fuel pump? You guessed it - from the know-alls - firstly wind the motor over until the engine is on No1 TDC!!!

Funny thing - The Norgate crew didnt come back after the lunch break.

Oldfulla

LOL.

More
10 years 5 months ago #131000 by BK
Ma Battle ran the allnighter....early 70's, it was near their (Norgate) depot, she was a tough old bird.

Trust me

Time to create page: 0.639 seconds