Skip to main content

How to get the most out of 2350 Acco

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #141809 by rockcrawler31
Hi all

Just bought my first real truck, an 1994 Acco 2350 with the 240 Cummins. It's a lot larger than what i've been looking for but i got it at a great price and if I find it's not what i want i shouldn't have too much drama getting my money back.

Currently it has a tautliner on it which while handy for keeping stuff out of sight of prying eyes looks to me like it'll push a crapload of wind resistance. I'm using this to transport a race car/team/pit equipment around the country which will mean a lot of highway miles.

So some questions

1. Does anyone have a guesstimate what i expect in the way of fuel usage with the 9 speed eaton and cummins? I"ve been told that wind resistance andheadwinds make more of a difference than weight.

2. Any idea if i'd be able to sell the tautliner body if i tidied it up a bit? what sort of money could i ask for it? (8.5m or so and full height)

3. If i went to a flat deck tray and got rid of all that height above the cab would it make much of a difference to fuel usage? This is an option anyways as the truck will have to get into 4x4 parks and the height may become an issue.

[IMG

I've got the truck

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #141810 by kenny-mopar
My acco with a 250hp cummins gets prob around 28l 100kms it's 4.2 metres high but has a wind scoop without a winds scoop the air resistance would prob add easy 15% or more to the fuel bill ....at a guess the tautliner mite fetch up to 5Gs

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #141811 by rockcrawler31
Thanks Kenny! It's a little more than what I was first told but still reasonable considering my 4.2tdi landcruiser gets 18L/100 towing heavy and at least with the acco there's no problems worrying about not being able to fit all our gear, and it'll be a LOT safer than towing at max GCM in a cruiser

I've got the truck

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #141812 by kenny-mopar
Yeah the cruisers do use a bit of juice for a diesel, I've a old V8 jeep (4.7) petrol and towing a car trailer loaded I'm using around 18L-100ks of E10... At least with a truck your much safer carrying a load
Cheers ken

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #141813 by LYLEXR8
wind is a massive killer, did a stint carting ausco site huts/dunnys/showerblocks/dongas about the place, the 14.4m long 6 man units weighed 4.5 ton. carting them around felt the same and used as much fuel as carting 20 ton, on a windy day you wouldn't hold 100kmh in a t950 with 550 Detroit, best setup would be your tool boxes/storage at the front no higher than roof height then have the car at the back

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds