Skip to main content

A couple for Aussie l Plate

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #16498 by bigcam
A couple of pics for you Jason, and Crib Piont Towing. Our painter has just done the Dulux recondition on this for Barron River Towing in Cairns, the truck is ex Knights from Briso. It`s got some sort of Cat motor in it and a 20 speed Spicer, and an Ekebol back.

The Bullbar and front mudflaps still look a bit rough,the`re putting a new bar on it when it gets home.
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by bigcam.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #16499 by aussie l plate
she looks like its got a good wheelbase on her, how many tons is the boom rated at

More
14 years 5 months ago #16500 by bigcam
I`m not sure Jason,though the new owner told me it`s good for Road Trains.We tidied it up a bit and put a new bush and pin in the bit that swivels on the end of the boom.Ekebol make good gear.It`s heavy,I had to weigh it for the permits,6.6 tonne on the front and a bit over 16 tonne all up.

More
14 years 5 months ago #16501 by aussie l plate
you will find most heavy tow trucks need too run under a permit system, just a standard bobtail prime mover being towed from the front axle, will put the tow truck over on the drive

More
14 years 5 months ago #16502 by bigcam
Your right about the permits,first time I wieghed it,no bullbar and only about 150 l of fuel it was still just over 6 tonnes on the front.Then they told me that they would give them whatever it went when you wieghed it,up to the limit of the axle,so the bar went on and we filled it up,seeing as it`s got a 6.6 tonne front axle,thats what it went.That Spicer gearbox was a bit funny to drive,all right going up the gears (arn`t they all),but going down,the only way to do a nice change was to split it into high before you changed down,or if you split it into high while you are changing down,you seem to have to wait until the splitter goes in with a bit of a crunch.I was only in it for about half an hour,I might need a bit more practice.I remember driving a 14 speed Spicer,and they used to have a horrible change from 4th to 5th when you moved the splitter from 4th back into 1st at the same time,actually going back to 2nd on the splitter cut down the crunching niose considerably.

More
14 years 5 months ago #16503 by aussie l plate
spicers are a good box, they take a bit of getting used too, ya dont see manyspicers in trucks these days, as for the tow truck weight, if ya weighed it bare, with only 150 liters of fuel, ya still got too put in all ya tools, air lines, chains, dogs, snatch blocks, shovels, rakes and all the other bits and pieces, that could be up too, and over a ton, just depending on how much gear ya carry, i dont reakon ya can have too much gear, ya have too be prepaired for any situation that might arise.

14 years 5 months ago #16504 by
Replied by on topic Re: A couple for Aussie l Plate
Hi Cam, ya did nothin' for the looks of that vehicle, eh.

I reckon you've made that truck look like an 'insipid' plain jane, you should have at least left some colour on it. ;D

www.knightstowing.com.au/

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #16505 by bigcam
We did what we were told Greenie,it`s still got to get signs etc,and if you`ve got a fleet you want them all to look the same.Knights might have them looking s##t hot and shiny on top,but I can tell you from recent experience it doesn`t extend to any area visable from the outside of the truck.
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by bigcam.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 5 months ago #16506 by Swishy

Guyz
A plane jane paint job
can lend it self to lotsa artwork n fancy stuff for finished look
ButEyeDoSt&2BCorrected
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 5 months ago #16507 by bigcam
Here`s a pic of another one of Hoop`s trucks.I reckon they look nice and clean,White with a red chassis,Knights probobly had the chassis black so that it didn`t matter if it was never cleaned I suppose.The Isuzu was involved in a fire and we did the insurance repair.Another truck in the yard had a fire in the battery box at night which in turn burnt the truck to the ground,setting a few others alight at the same time.The Isuzu was lucky,they drove it out.Burnt all the wiring at the rear and some hydraulics.Hoop`s got quite a few trucks,there`s no piont in having one black and the rest white.It`ll look all right once the signs go on it.

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds