Skip to main content

What's served up as reality TV

More
7 years 8 months ago #173338 by Dave_64
I can't stand "reality" TV in any shape or form, would rather read or write something. I was actually looking up something or other and came across this posting. No doubt there are some devotees of "Outback Truckers"---"Ice Truckers"--- and others of the same ilk. I just think that if this is any indication, TV programming and investigative journalism have just hit an all time low. Smacks of sensationalism similar to that generated by one of those after dinner TV "News" programs, you know the one, put that ex-soldier up to 'kidnapping' the kid from the estranged couple, which the mother just happened to be present.

www.bigrigs.com.au/news/turbo-cracks-it-...-up-in-jail/3067424/
Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 8 months ago #173341 by Swishy
Davo
Gudday M8

Don't take life tooo seriously
The every day life of a trucky Twould B boring to the outside world
Spose there would/could B one good event/sho in each n evry truckies life
th@ B worth makin a sho of

Life iz wotcha make of it

LOL ;) :lol: :silly:

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 8 months ago #173342 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic What's served up as reality TV
Just saw an item on one of the high profile "Outback Truckers". Turns out he is a complete shyster and thief who has been spending time at the barbed wire holiday camp for dudding fellow truckies and customers.

As Swishy says, it is just a show and this loud mouthed yobbo was a big hit with American audiences.

Lang

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #173345 by Bobsboy
Hi,

And just to add shite about shite,
in Ice Road it was Lisa (oh, I'm just a girl) who actually made the money, learned the most, did the widest variety of loads with the least amount of agro, vehicle damage and "high drama".

Five or ten years ago, they had a mob driving ridged trucks in the Himalayan high country of India under extremely scary and dangerous conditions.
Remember that?
Lisa was one of them - "Oh I'm just a girl" what bullshit.

I am sure any of you fleet owners would line up to have her behind the wheel of one of yours - to just do the bloody job and bring it home in one piece.

just saying
-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Bobsboy. Reason: punctuation

More
7 years 8 months ago #173349 by Dave_64
Hmmmm.................
must be where I'm going wrong, taking life too seriously!
I may be better off restricting my comments to the topic "never ending story". At least I'm limited to THREE words!
........."it is just a show and this loud mouthed yobbo was a big hit with American audiences."
Yeah, I can see why he'd fit right in, be like a brother to the Seppo's. They love the arrogance and " anything you can do, I can do better', probably half the reason they are so disliked outside their own little world. My own personal opinion of course.
I watched the first one or two episodes of both those mentioned shows, did absolutely nothing for me, some words spring to mind,'insipid, banal, utter trash', switched over to the fifteenth repeat of David Rabbitburrow's life series.
But, WTH, everybody's entitled to their own.
It'll only be a matter of time before someone of other, trying to generate a quid, comes up with the concept of doing the rounds of the boneyards and junk paddocks, sourcing old trucks to recycle! We'll call it "reality at it's lowest depth".
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tacho

More
7 years 8 months ago #173422 by bparo
any reality show has thousands of hours and then they cut it into a 20 minute show which takes an hour on the screen due to the ads. If they didn't manufacture some drama the shows wouldn't rate.

They are actually cheap shows to make as you don't pay for actors - just maybe a couple of judges and a crew. You don't pay the contestants for the hours they wait on set or location - in fact they will put their life on hold for their chance at fame. Financially the commitment the contestants make to these shows is money they rarely recover - even if they win.

On outback Truckers etc there isn't even a competition or money to win so I wonder why they do it. Ice Road Truckers got so popular they had to pay some of the fan's favorites too come back but they still needed the money from the loads to make ends meet

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago #173428 by Dave_64
Wonder if the same criteria applies to ALL 'reality' shows?
If so, it's no wonder they keep foisting this drivel on us. Still and all, can always exercise a basic right and stop bitching and turn the darn thing off!
Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #173442 by allan
[strike]Yep. Just turn the crap off. The one thing that is consistent across all "Reality Shows" is how fatuous (and unreal) they really are.

But then, by definition, 50% of the population has below "average" intelligence, so I guess they must have some sort of audience.[/strike]

If you can't say anything nice, then say nothing.
I withdraw the above then.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by allan.

More
7 years 8 months ago #173484 by mammoth
All the above. Having said that Highway Thru Hell (ABC2) seems a notch up and have learnt a few things - like how delicate Yankee trailers are when not shiny side up. The episodes are all over the place eg early on Bruce was getting the arse because he was too old and losing the plot, then nest episode he is the hero from way back.

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds