Skip to main content

Tyre regrooving - your thoughts.

More
13 years 6 months ago #35770 by theroadbossman
With our economy on the mend but so many still doing it tuff, tyre regrooving is back on the cards again.

I am aware that even though a case is marked "regroovable" that is more transport regulation than practicality, and to regroove some tyres may cause immediate failure.

So what are your thoughts, feelings, experiences ?

Obviously regrooving is not for steer tyres but for drive or trailer only.

Share your thoughts, interested to know....
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #35771 by mammoth
Don't have much experience but advice from my tyre shop says only concern is if you go too far down the case will be unfit for recapping. This is in the case of clean skins but regrooving recaps would be another matter.
Some regroovable actually have holes to guide depth of cutting.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 6 months ago #35772 by Swishy

TRB Man
GuddayM8

we tuched on the subject sum 18 months ago

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1230880399/8#8

the only thing I'd ad iz:
Never recap a tyre after it has been regrooved
if the little woman aint $pent all the dough
run original clean skins from new
with recaps n regroove n just think of the damage it can cause if a tyre kaboomz
eg: mudguards, lights etc

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 6 months ago #35773 by Assessor
ive run heaps of regroved tyres on the drive of my tipper, back during the resesion of 91,broke, hardly any work,anything to keep goin! bear in mind i am only ever carting around ten ton, now things are better i can afford to run bald cleanskins!!

More
13 years 6 months ago #35774 by theroadbossman
Assessor, is exactly the situation that a few of us here are seeing today ;)

More
13 years 6 months ago #35775 by Assessor
::)mate, iam hearing ya!! been that broke that ive gone to work after setting up a tipper,with no pto controls, turn the motor off,crawl underneath put the pto in ,the get back in ,start up and tip off,then back underneath to pull it out again [that was the days of cables] earn a couple of bucks then the truck takes it again,ive been there mate! i think trucken has never been a easy sport, ive been lucky with work over the years, but ive also had times were i hav,nt turned a wheel in months, down here over the years,weve had guys come in cut prices,vic roads [rta] tryin to put the old jiggas off the road, to were i knew every back way to the tip in melbourne , iam still here,iam still breathin, ive just sold a $70,000 truck [that the bank owned] and gone back to a truck worth $20,000 ,so i have no payments,its not that great any where for tippers at the moment, somtimes ya just gota do, what ya gota do to live! regardless of anyones opinion, just just my 2 cents mate!

13 years 6 months ago #35776 by
I've always wondered why people regroove tyres, it seems like you are writing off the carcass when you do so.
I know that many of the tyre retreaders here on the left coast, years ago, would not accept regrooved tyres for retreading.
However, they would not accept a lot of certain brands for retreading, either! .. brands such as Banglop and other brands with poor carcass build quality.

However, with the advent of el-cheapo Chinese tyres, it's a whole new ball game. The tyre retreaders have shut down wholesale, just like the engine reconditioners, and most people just seem to work on buying cheap Chinese tyres, then regrooving them, and then discarding them.

It's a far cry from the old days, when Bell Bros recapped Michelins on a huge scale with Bandags .. and every time they did, they scrubbed a letter off the Michelin name.
I often used to see recaps with only "lin" or "in" left in the name on the sidewall! .. :o

More
13 years 6 months ago #35777 by theroadbossman
Assessor, so what yer sayin' is don't come to Melbourne for work ::) ::) ::)

OneTrack, it is the philosophy of today that is so different to yesterday; the Lingalonga and Jingaling chinesese tyres sell for $285 each; a recap is $240. For the extra $45 you get a new tyre that has far less chance of blowing out and taking yer guards, mudflaps, brackets, and old mate following behind you. So, in Qld at least, the numbers say go new chinese rather than recap.

Problem is, and hence this thread, the consequences of regrooving a chinese case. It is not that the carcass is then buggered for the purposes of recapping (because that is not really the issue anymore).

If I could read Barmitzfan, then I am sure that what Swishy put up would say that there is only about 2mm of "safe" rubber to work with, or less. And that ain't a lot to work with when you are using a chainsaw to do the regrooving with.

Reckon I know the answer all the way through but it is interesting to get different perspectives on the subject. Oh yeah, answer is buy new chinese.

Funny part is, with all the wet weather in these parts of the world at the moment I would have thought that the civil contractoirs that i am working for would have been grateful for my smooth tyres as at least don't have to hire a roller. Ungrateful bums :D
Bretto ;)

13 years 6 months ago #35778 by
Bretto - You could always add "rolling charges" to your next invoice. Govt depts, and local Govt bodies, usually don't pick up on extras like that, slipped in between the other invoiced charges .. ;) :D

Yeah .. about that cryptic Cyrillic-text info on Swishy's tyre regrooving diagram .. ya could at least thought he'd have done a quick translation .. if not into English, then at least into Swishy-speak .. ;D ;D

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 6 months ago #35779 by Swishy

CHEEKYBUGGRZ

Me nose wot eye mean

LOL

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH