Skip to main content

Port Adelaide Wharf photo's

More
13 years 2 months ago #45669 by jimbo51
Here ya go!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #45670 by
Replied by on topic Re: Port Adelaide Wharf photo's
Yeah, it must be some wild ride in those lifeboats, when they launch! Stepdaughter has worked on oil rigs, and they use the same setup. They're called free-fall lifeboats.

They're designed for an instant getaway. The rig blows, you're in that boat and away in seconds!
I guess it's just bad luck if you're taking a crap, on the far side, right at the second the rig blows! .. :D

I'll have to check with her, but I'm pretty sure they're all strapped in when they launch. You'd end up plastered over the windscreen if you weren't!

They are fully sealed and can right themselves, no matter how far they go under water, or how they hit the water.
They have a little diesel engine in them, with auto start, and a heap of supplies of course.
Google "oil rig lifeboat" and you'll get more info.

The part she hated was the escape training on them. As part of the rig OH&S qualifications, you get locked into one of these things, and they launch it and sink it (in a special premises and tank) .. then you have to fight your way out!
I guess if you don't surface, they record a fail against you! .. ;D ;D

IFAP have the only free-fall life boat training facility in Australia, at Rous Head in Fremantle, W.A. Prior to that, people who wanted to keep up their training in these things had to go to Malaysia!

www.safetysolutions.net.au/news/43150-Au...at-training-facility

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #45671 by Mick themungrel
Took this photo as they were winching the life boat back up after a life boat drill . It was about half way back up .Sorry its a bit fuzzy but I cant remember were my camera is so I been using my phone .
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Mick themungrel.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #45672 by Mick themungrel
A few photo's from 2008 .

Taken from onboard

Under the hopper waiting to load

Boat is nearly finished front hatches are closed and cranes are stowed .
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Mick themungrel.

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds