Skip to main content

Can Buses be rego'ed as Federal Interstate?

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #86498 by hoarder1
Hi all,
Not strictly on topic I guess, but I thought I'd ask some of you clever blokes this question.

According to the SA RTA and Vicroads websites, buses be registered under the Federal Interstate Registration Scheme (FIRS) and wear the gold and green number plates.

I know the operating limits of the scheme regarding intrastate work and the nature of the bus industry (pick-ups and drop-offs along the route), but just wondered how many buses do qualify for the scheme. Anyone got a photograph? I'd especially love a pic of a Qld registered Fed Interstate bus.

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by hoarder1.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #86499 by BigAl
Hopkinson's in the Smithfield area of NSW did have a few coaches on SA Fed plates, but a quick search is only showing photos of them after returning to NSW TV. plates

More
11 years 9 months ago #86500 by Beaver
A lot of buses in NSW have started life on SA plates, I understand this because there is lower/no stamp duty for buses on intial regos there, and none in NSW when the rego is transferred.

I recall some of the interstate coach operators like Greyhound used to have IS plates back in the days when there were restrictions on carrying intra-state passengers. As there are no such restrictions now, IS plates have largely become redundant.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

Time to create page: 0.464 seconds